reading the bible to a child.

My dd is 2.5. we have a childrens bible so I decided to pull it out & start reading a bit of it every day to her before naptime. In the last 3 days we have read about nothing but 1 person killing another person & God flooding the earth (thus killing everything minus 2 of everything)....
Is this really what I want my kid to be reading!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• check out Boz the bear, he is awesome for that age group! http://www.bozthebear.com
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 11:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• sounds like you need another type of children's bible. the one i used for my dd was not like that
    Anonymous

• There are all types of children's bibles. I'd suggest getting into a christian supply store and asking a staff person for assistance in finding one that works for your needs.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Skip the bible stories that you think are age inapropriate for her. Perhaps you can start with the New Testament lessons first.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I am waiting to introduce Bible stories until an older age. My daughter is 3.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:13 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I am glad that I checked out this question. I will be using some of these other women's ideas and getting a children's bible to read to my son (and to me for that matter, it might be a little easier to understand some things,lol).
    PrayzAlphaOmega

Answer by PrayzAlphaOmega at 8:04 AM on May. 9, 2009

• No, cuz really, that has so little to what GOD is really about. I would find a better children's Bible that focuses on Jesus and his teachings.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:15 AM on May. 9, 2009

• if you skip over the parts that aren't age/appropriate, fine. you're child is rather young to understand the finer points. however, with age, if you want to encourage bible-reading, you will have to accept some stories aren't always going to 'play nice'...that's the real world, whether you take it literally or choose to believe the bible is all jewish-folklore.
    the thing is, you are the parent, and with maturity and responsibility, have the charge to decide what is and what isn't appropriate for your child. go to the bookstore (we got our son's bible at books-a-million), and carefully inspect all they offer, and think about your child's age and reasonibility (is that even a word?). at you son's age, anything too wordy is going to bore him-keep the pictures colorful, and the wording simple/quick. definite/more precise reading/studying will come later.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:50 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. We do not go to church, but I want my dd to learn about God & Jesus at a young age (I pretty much grew up just being told I was baptist & thats it - never been read the bible, ect. im 25 & have never sat at church with my parents or family-just friends) & there is alot in the bible I myself have not read, so i enjoy reading the childrens bible as well.. Maybe we will go searching for a better bible -- my bff is Christian & might know of some better bibles, or let me borrow ones she has for her kids that are 6mo older than mine.
    Anonymous

• I agree, I can remember being quite freaked out by the Old Testament children's Bible that a relative had given me as a child. I prefer the lessons of the New Testament. Maybe you could peruse the bookstore until you find a version you are more comfortable with.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:00 PM on May. 9, 2009