to nap or not to nap?

my son just turned 2, hes NEVER been a good sleeper and ive lived with my family most of the time since hes been born so hes always slept with me (its the only way he would ever go back to sleep) now i know that was probably a mistake but i wasnt with anyone and it was just him and me in my bed and i figured its the only time in his life hes going to want to sleep with mommy. ne wayz my question is that if my son has any nap at all he wont go to bed until almost 10 to midnight and he gets really tired around 3 and i feel guilty trying to keep him up but if he doesnt have a nap he goes to sleep like an angel at 8 and sleeps all night and gets up at a reasonable hour, i dont know if he needs a nap at this point or not and i always feel so guilty. does anyone have any suggestions or similar problem? thanx

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 10:42 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine started doing the samething around the same age. I gave her naps on her really cranky days and tried to skip them as much as i could. Shes 2 1/2 now and doesn't take them anymore. She gets really cranky around 5pm, the best thing i can tell you is to try to keep him entertained whenhe starts to get cranky. when he gets fussy just distract him with something else. Good luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:46 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I let mine sleep wen she gets tired.. but lately she has been getting sleepy around 5:30-6:00 and wanting to nap.. and if she goes to sleep she is more cranky wen she gets up... and wakes at 3:00 in the morning and wants me to find spongebob on tv..lol But.. I really dunno.. she usually does good with just a short 15-20min nap in her carseat wen we are riding in the car.. but i don't leave everyday..good luck
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• well my son is 2yrs old and when ever he dosent take a nap that usually means no nap for mommy.which is ok .All i do sometimes is try to just let him play with all his toys for about an hour at about 1:00 clock to make him tired.He then would go to sleep around 3:00 clock.Sometimes it works sometimes it dont.Does she play outside at all?
    leondra21

Answer by leondra21 at 10:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• yeah we just set up his baby pool cuz its getting really hot and he takes his cars outside all day and i usually take him to the park and when he needs to rest i usually just put on spongebob, the hard thing is im pregnant and on bed rest (my mom is here to help) but i get so tired in the day so i have to choose between having a nap in the day or sleeping at night
    bradynsmom222

Answer by bradynsmom222 at 11:03 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I went through exactly what you are talking about and have the same history with co-sleeping and a child who has never been a good sleeper.  He turned two at the end of December, BTW.  I found out that he really didn't know what time it was, lol.  For the past few months, I found an awesome schedule that if someone had suggested, I would have laughed at them.

continued ....

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 11:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

•  

He wakes up at 6 a.m. no matter what.  I take him to his bed at 10 a.m. for a nap and he goes right to sleep.  He wakes up at 11 a.m. and that gets him through the afternoon very happy and not tired at all.  Here's the kicker, that's made me a very happy mom.  He went from going to bed at 10-11 p.m., to going to bed between 6 and 6:30 p.m., no lie!  He does not act or look tired, but he goes right to sleep.  I read something, somewhere, that said toddlers are tired waaaay before they show signs and that they sleep better with an earlier bedtime and it worked great for us.  We skipped his nap the first day and did our bedtime routine at 5 p.m. and he was asleep by 6 p.m.  The next day, we did the nap routine at 10 a.m. instead of 1 or 2 p.m. when he used to get deliriously tired.

DeTora_Family

• I had that problem with my second baby. I started waking him up an hour earlier in the day and then after his nap taking him outside to run around. If he was physically tired he would go to sleep at night even after having a nap.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Toddlers will go until they crash. If he won't go down for an early nap, just do quiet time for an hour, earlier in the day. I used to lay in bed with my kids & sing to them & read them books or tell them stories. Even if they didn't go to sleep, which they usually didn't, it let them recharge & got rid of the afternoon crankies.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 6:12 AM on May. 9, 2009