My 3 year had blood in her stool, has anyone experienced this?

purplish fleshy look, some streaks of blood on the outer. Went to doctor, would like to know if another mom has seen this in her child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• haven't seen it my self.. Sure it wasn't something she ate??? What did the dr. say?
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 11:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i would say her poop is to hard try giving her something to loosen it up and i bet it will help
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:13 AM on May. 9, 2009

• also check what she has been eating like tomatoes and playdoh they can make the poop look weird! Hope the dr gives you some answers
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:15 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Are you sure it was blood? Often a food will look reddish in their poop. I know watermelon does that, so do beets and a number of other red foods.

The other thing, as someone mentioned above - could be that her poop is too hard. Things like oatmeal are great for helping to soften it naturally. If your child doesn't eat oatmeal, try slipping a teaspoon of all bran into her regular cereal or even into something like spaghetti sauce (so she doesn't notice the bran). It will help to soften it up and possibly stop the bleeding. (if that's what's causing it).
    I used to make oatmeal cookies for my son when he was constipated - they had a couple of tbsps of bran in them as well as chocolate chips and skor chips to make them appealing to a 2 yr old. That helped too.

If you're still concerned though - talk to your Dr - he/she's really the best one to help with that. :)

Hope that helped some
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 2:46 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Oh - and lots of fluids. Often poop will get hard and dry if the child isn't getting enough fluids in her during the day.
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 2:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My son was about 18 months old when suddenly one day he began pooping blood. It wasn't just superficial streaky blood either. I took him to the doctor and it tested positive for blood. A week later, after a bunch of tests and a just in case round of antibiotics, he tested postive again. So we went to see a specialist. By that time, he tested neg for blood in his poop, but the doc did a scope anyway. Just as sudden as it started, it went away, and we never got an explanation. I have noticed that if he eats whole kernel corn that he gets the bloody poop. Our family doc thinks it is an absorption problem.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 11:01 PM on May. 26, 2009