Do you for your MIL?

Every year I get a card from dh to MIL but I feel weird signing it as she is not my mother or grandmother (I have the kids sign a card of their own for MIL or make her something now that they're getting older). Do you sign your MIL's card or does she just get gifts from dh and your kids? Also, how long have you and dh been together and do you get along with MIL, I think those may also be factors.

mommabear2008

Asked by mommabear2008 at 10:45 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Holidays

• When we were first married (also military) I sent all the cards and signed both our names. He just wouldn't take the time to buy it, sign it or mail it. We no longer have contact with his mom so I don't have to worry about her, but she did throw a fit about how she "knew her son wouldn't have bought that card & that surely wasn't his signature"...well she was right, it wasn't & never would it have been! 6 years later, I still send anniversary/congrats/baby/bday cards to his side of the family & sign his name. He's too busy & doesn't remember important dates.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:36 PM on May. 9, 2009

• we've been together 8 yrs married almost 7. my MIL and i get along but i don't like her, i sign the card and actually am the one to go buy it. however he is also in the military and doesn't get to send xmas, bday, moms day dads day etc...cards alot so i will send them when he is gone, and i won't sign his name b/c duh hes not here so i kinda have to sign someones name to it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We've been married for less then a year. And yes, when DH gives her a gift or a card it is from both of us. But i'm a military wife. So when she gets a card for Christmas or mothers day she knows that i bought it. And most of the time i do get a long with my MIL.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Nope..she's too busy punishing us for not giving her the greatest mother's day gift last year--financial assistance to help her move in with his brother even though two months prior my husband took out a 3K loan to help her with bills and expenses. She has not called or emailed since he deployed 7 months ago and sends him an email once every few months.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I used to, until I found out my in-laws hate me, and unfortunately I have 2 sets, mother-in-law & husband and father-in-law & wife!!!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 11:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Been married three years and never sent her anything.no mothers days no christmas nothing
    i dont like her and cant stand the sight of her. husband dont send her anything either but im sure he thinks of it but still dont cause he dont want to go to the store and look for something. oh and she dont send nothing to me or call me she dont send my son nothing either
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 11:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• we've been together for about 5yrs and married 2 1/2 and I do not get along with MIL at all, but we are all the family she has (hubby was an only child) so I sign the card along with hubby and write our daughters name
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:03 PM on May. 9, 2009

• That is between my husband and daughter; he doesn't buy things for my mom and I don't buy things for his

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Mine passed away, but yes I sent her presents and cards for all holidays from the both of us. When my husband and I got married we became members of one another's families, so his parents became mine, and mine became his. I didn't get along at all well with my MIL, but I felt it might help ease relations if I treated her the same way I treated my mother. My DIL's, by the way, send a card and sign it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:56 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Sadly I don't have a MIL since DH's mother disappeared when he was 10. I do however have the kids make her a card and put it in a box on the rare chance she may be found alive in the future. her daughters have done this all their life and that is why I have continued the tradition. DH choose to stop doing it when he was a child and his father was not going to force him to. I would not sign the card with my name, but rather just buy it and make DH sign it and then give it to her.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:24 AM on May. 10, 2009