what to do about this dang bird nest??

i went out of town in march, for the whole month. when i got back, i found that a bird had decided to make her nest outside my bathroom window. i didn't know if there were eggs in there or not, so i decided to leave it alone. about 3 weeks ago, i noticed baby birds in there, and thought it was so cute. about a week later they looked big, like they were about to become adult birds or w/ever. now i've looked in there and i haven't seen them in a few days.
I have bird poop on my window and windowsill, the nest is still there, and i'm not sure if the mother is still using it. i've seen her flying around, but she's not in the nest as often, i assume cuz she doesn't have babies to protect anymore. i want to move the nest, but i'm afraid she may have more eggs in there? would that ruin "natures way of life" or w/ever? do they lay more than one set of eggs?? what do i do???? oh and my other main concern is that birds carry lice..

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 10:59 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I really don't know if they lay more than one set of eggs. My suggestion is to wait until Fall and then remove the nest, they'll definately be done with it when it starts getting colder out. Also, keep an eye out in case they start to build a new one next Spring, if you see signs of one remove the stuff immediately so the mom will get the hint and move her nesting spot.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 11:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i would put on some rubber gloves, and move the next to a nearby tree or bush or wherever. i don't think birds rely on their sense of smell very much (although i could be way wrong) so i don't think it would mess with her instinct to protect her eggs
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I would wait until the nest begins to fall apart before removing it. Birds will tend to an active nest. Once it starts falling apart, then you can be sure the nest is no longer being used--at least by it's original inhabitants--some birds will "move in" to an existing nest, but that's kind of rare.

And definitely wear gloves and hose down the area--if it's an area that doesn't get rained on easily (like if it under an eave) or if you open that window frequently!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:01 AM on May. 9, 2009

• doesn't hurt to get a ladder and take a peek.. if it's free of eggs.. go ahead and move it (although some birds won't go to a moved nest, etc, and just assume make a new one).

We had a bird building a nest on our porch. I know I moved it one week, and then the next week, the nest was build right back were it was, and we took it down again.. the third week, it was back again.. finally we just gave up. lol. She's now got a couple of little babies, but we have to use the front door or she gets protective of her babies and swoops down at your heads. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:42 PM on May. 9, 2009