Do you ever have days where you don't like your children or your SO?

I'm lucky enough to be a SAHM (for the time being) and I love being able to watch my kids grow up and spend every day with them. But having said that... I spend literally 24/7/365 with them and I rarely get a break. I go to the gym for an hour a couple days a week but I have to drag them with me so my time isn't even 100% mine. Everytime I leave the house, they come with me. My SO apparently thinks that I don't need a break or time for myself, yet he can't spend 1 hour alone with both kids w/out freaking out.

I'm just having a bad day cause my SO has been spending every spare second (literally EVERY) on looking for a stupid RV for us (and now fixing the one he found). The kids are at their peak brattiness today and I just want 1 hour (or even 1 minute!) completely to myself! I've been finding myself getting short with my 3 yr old and I feel so bad.

How do you get out of a funk when you're having a bad day?

muensters_ma

Asked by muensters_ma at 11:09 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have beers LOL! I've been unemployed about 4 weeks now, and I really can't wait to get back to work. It will be mutually beneficial to ALL of us when that happens.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i know how you feel. i have two little kids and i'm a SAHM, and my hubby is deployed. so what i do to retain my sanity is i take the kids to the babysitters on mondays and fridays, so i have two days a week to shower (lol), clean up around the house, do some errands, and spend some 'me' time
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:12 PM on May. 8, 2009

• lock them all in the rv for an hour and run.....
    seriously though, tell your SO you're going to flip if you don't get some space and go for a drive. you have every right.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:13 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I totally understand. Your SO needs to give you more of a break, it's just not fair and bad for marriages and worse for kids. Kids also need a break from Moms and Dads. Try to get more time carved out in a week for yourself and have a glass of wine when they finally go to bed.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:13 PM on May. 8, 2009

• No never, but there are days that I get very frustrated with them and I just need a break. I would never not like them.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:14 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I always love my children, but i think i know what you mean. It gets very stressful at times, " like for the hundreth time i said no!" lol. seriously, i deal with it by putting them to bed at 8pm , and spending a couple of hours just doing nothing. I call it my "me time."
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't get a break either, once I get off from work I have take care of my dd, feed her, bathe her, clean the mess she makes and fight her 2 go 2 bed, I need some "me time" 2, but her daddy won't give it 2 me, I feel ur pain
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:33 PM on May. 8, 2009

• The only days I don't like my kids are the days that end in "y", lol. All kidding asside I love my kids and I love DH but some days I just want to pull my hair out. Dh works 70 hours a week so when he comes home he just plops down in his chair and watches tv. Helping with the kids consists of yelling for them to do stuff. My dd has behavioral problems which he doesn't have the patience for. Anytime I go anywhre I have to take them with me also. To get some me time I go to bed an hour after the kids but also an hour before dh. I spend that time in my room doing whatever I want. I can go to bed early, watch whatever I want or take a nice long bubble bath. It's the only time I get so I enjoy it.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:39 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I get that way on Friday evenings. By the end of the week at work I just need some time to unwind and not have to listen to anyone. The kids are finally learning that Friday evenings are "me" time for mom and dad to just relax together.  When they give us this quiet time we are much more likely to have all of the energy we need to devote every second of the weekend to them.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:18 AM on May. 9, 2009

• it seemes to me that you feel overwhelmed by your husband's lack of support with your children, remember he sign an agrement to help you out to raise those children when he married you, it does not matter if he works outside the home and you are a full time indoors mom, good luck to you and try asking your hubby for support in a nice way, in another words be persuasive, hey you got him to marry you and have kids with you, you are the best candidate to ask your husband for a littlebit of help, you know where to touch him where no one else has! good luck to you! we woman always have the power to persuade, enchant, love, care and heal.
    betty6779

Answer by betty6779 at 7:22 AM on May. 9, 2009