Can someone really believe that they are having an emotional affair?

I heard this the other day and I'm wondering how do someone do that without intimacy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• Well...because you don't make out or have sex with the person. Talking, hugging, chatting online....been there done that.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• uugh my ex fiance had one. they met in person while he and I had a long distance relationship, but the girl was very young, and she and her mother considered him a best friend. then the father commited suicide and they went downhill. soon they looked up to him as a father figure, and as the girl grew up she had a crush on him. she wanted nothing to do with me. he knew she had feelings for him, and they always chatted online, emailing each other "love letters", she played songs on guitar and sent recordings to him.... then once we broke up they had oral sex. he is married now to someone else and his wife "wears the pants" . she has cut that girl off from his life.
    Anonymous

• I've had an emotional affair - it just ended.

I wouldn't recommend it!
    Anonymous

• sAME HERE met someone online started talking & really fell for him but thats over
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on May. 9, 2009

• They can't. it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. If it's all in your head it's not an affair. It's your imagination. Women use this when they are very insecure with themselves and their relationships that they need to control a persons entire life. Even their mind.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:24 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I just went through this with my husband. He flat out stopped talking to me about important things and everyday things. He instead confided in her. It is VERY sad. It almost hurts more because you feel like they could be falling in love with the other person and out of love with you. It's real, but fixable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Its very real and very painful. It is almost worse than a PA cause you can pin-point why your SO would want to hump someone else but you know it's worse when he's taking the time to give her the attention you deserve.
    Anonymous

• It is very real.. they can talk about having sex, and they have real feelings for each other.
    I've met a lot of people online that I'm very good friends with. I have real feelings for them and can trust them with the truth, and can talk about anything. Some people can take that friendship to a different level and can fall in love thru their words. They can call, email, text or write letters and get very close.
    One of my very best friends I've ever had I met online. He is friends with both my hubby and me and came down twice recently (several states away) to help me while I was recovering from a serious illness. He's one friend I KNOW I can count on and I know he genuinely cares for my family, he's proved it time and time again. He's not having an affair with me, but his feelings for our family started with the click of a mouse and the stroke of a keyboard. 10 years later, we're still still more like family.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:41 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Emotional affairs can be more damaging than physical ones.. ( however usually physical stuff comes in to play during the emotional affair). The difference between the two is : Physical purely sexual.. emotional= feelings of attachment occur ( with or without the sex). Very hard to move past an emotional affair if you or your partner still has strong feelings for the other person.
    Anonymous

• my Husband's having one right now with a woman he met on the internet. (at least she says she's a woman) They even talk on the phone for hours, she sends him gifts of baked goods and Hershey kisses. He says they're just friends but he has never spent more then a few min, in conversation with me. I say they are worse then physical ones. I believe the only reason it's not physical yet, is because they are 3000 miles away.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:18 PM on May. 9, 2009