THE BINKY!!

how do i get my 2 year old to get off that thing!!!

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 11:18 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just took them away one day with no warning. Other people cut off the nipple but I'm not sure there's a great way of doing it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think you're supposed to 'lose' it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Try buying the 'newborn' pacifiers and replacing the old ones with the smaller ones....it'll be uncomfortable for her and she may just give up on them by herself.

I personally just took dd's away when she was 13 months old.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 11:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I just took them away from both of my children. My son was about 6 months old when his went away, and my daughter was about 9 months.
    Once they were gone, they didn't miss them, but they were a lot littler than your child, so it may be harder.
    I have heard of a "Binky Fairy" coming to pick them up, not sure if that would work or not.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i thought my daughter would never give hers up but last christmas< Santa took it so he could bring her big girl present and give the binkys to the little babies. she was ok with that at first, then she cried for it a couple times but i just reminded her that santa had to take it so he could bring her big girl presents... and she got over it and now its a thing of the past :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Once she started walking, we took them away.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I took the advice of the "What to expect the first year" book and took it away at 3 months of age so my DS wouldn't miss it. He just has his blankie now, but it stays in his crib and he can only cuddle with it when it's time to sleep.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:16 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm not really much help with this as I am currently trying to ween my child off of his, but as of right now he only gets them at nap and bed times. He is just about to be 14 months by the way. Sorry I can't be much assistance, but I thought maybe that might also work for you.
    MommaVonC

Answer by MommaVonC at 12:55 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Our son used a "binky" until he was about 7 months old. One weekend we went to visit my parents and we forgot to bring any binkies with us. By the time we came home from our visit, he didn't need them anymore. I wasn't really trying to take them away, but it was so easy! Since yours is older, maybe have a little "binky ceremony". We had a "goodbye to nursies" ceremony when my son weaned from breastfeeding, it worked really well. We got him some big boy cups to drink out of. Maybe you could get him a cool present to signify that he's graduating from the binky?
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 1:35 AM on May. 9, 2009

• take and cut a hole in the end so there is no suction and he will not like that. We did try that until he found one without a hole in his room. but then my doctor took it and threw it away and he never asked for it again because my doctor told him they are for babies and are YUCK!
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 6:57 AM on May. 9, 2009