does every first mom have to get contractions to know you are in actual labor?

my back kinda hurts as if i had trapped air inside, so i don't know if this is actually contractions cause my belly gets hard too, but it is a pain that just bothers me. now, do contractions have to be like super painful when dilating? im 38 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Time them and the pain should increase if it's real labor. Good labor is painful, like really nasty period cramps.
    Anonymous

• In my experience the contractions didn't get super painful until a half hour she was born but for 16 hours prior to that I had that pain in my back and tightening of the stomach. It didn't 'hurt' but it was uncomfortable. Try to time how far between those 'pains'.....
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 11:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Both times it was not 'super painful' for me until it was time to go to the hospital. I was so unsure if i was in labor i thought maybe it was braxton hix. It was not. It finaaly got painful about two hours before i had them. It was more like a gassy pressure feeling in the begining hours for me.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• time in between everyone says contractions are awful and horrid but that may be it for you. i'm 38 weeks my doc said to go in to the hospital if i have more than 6 contractions an hour, so about every 10 mins. if they don't come at regular intervals and don't start to they are probably braxton hicks
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My best guess is that I was in labor for about 36 hours, BUT I only knew for real that I was in labor for about 5 of that. Granted, the contractions weren't bad at all in the beginning, but if I hadn't had a doctors appointment that day I am not sure I would have really known until I was really close. I know it sounds silly, but I had so many aches and pains throughout my pregnancy that I was really sure if I went in to the doctor that they were just gonna tell me again that it was normal. I actually cried on the way to my appointment cause I was in so much pain and was SURE they were going to tell me, yet again, that it was normal...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:07 AM on May. 9, 2009