Ants in the dishwasher! Help!!

So I went to start a load of dished today and there were ants crawling around the bottom of the dishwasher (and a few in other random places). There weren't tons, and I didn't notice them until I was putting the silverware in, so it was full.

I put some water down the drain and washed them all down, then I figured the soap and steam from running the dishwasher would kill the rest so I ran the dishwasher (ready to run it again if there were dead ants hanging out) but when the cycle was over I opened the dw and they were still on the bottom crawling around!

I have a clean house, and all the dishes were rinsed off very well, I don't see what they're after, what do I do? How do I get rid of them?

Since then I've re-cleaned my entire kitchen, so I don't see what's drawing them to my house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• wash ur dishwasher out with vinegar- according to my mom if u take a spray bottle with straight white vinegar and spray it around the windows and doors and anywhere an ant can come through it deters them from entering- i dont know why it works or how but its supposed to- so washing ur dishwasher out with vinegar might help-
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:05 PM on May. 9, 2009

• what about the filter? is it all cleaned out? do you see them crawling into the dishwasher? maybe they are crawling through the pipes?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Ants don't come in for food, they come in for water and then just get food cause they find it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Make sure the filter and all drainage pipes are cleaned out. Also, make sure your kitchen sink is cleaned out very well. Last year, we had ants and could not get rid of them. Then one day, our kitchen sink clogged up and we had to get it snaked. All the ants dissapeared, turns out they were eating all the nasty collected food in the drain and pipes!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:54 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I once lived in a first floor apartment and I had a problem once where I had ants on a window ledge. The landlord had a garden just outside the window. I'm guessing there might have been an anthill nearby. I bought some traps that are like the round ones used for roaches. I put a couple on the widow ledge where most of them were and by the end of the week the party was over! Good luck!
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 12:21 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Holy cow! Vinegar totally worked. I dumped a bunch in and ran the dishwasher and they are all gone now!! Woo hoo! Thank you so much lovely. Best advice ever.
    Anonymous