Sleep Training...HELP! What worked for you?

I don't get it...I put my 9 month old little one to bed at the same time every night. He takes a bath (usually every other night), eats some oatmeal to keep him full, we read a story, turn on the nightlight, I lay him down in his crib, turn on his lullaby cd and I let him drift off to sleep. He was doing so well! But since he turned 9 months, he refuses. He cries non-stop until I come in and lay him back down. The dr. says to let him "cry it out" for an hour, but it feels like torture. He gets so mad that he pulls himself up to standing in his crib and rocks. I'm a nervous wreck that he might hurt himself and very sleep deprived. SO... I was wondering what worked/ what didn't for other moms.

JustPeachy678

Asked by JustPeachy678 at 11:24 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the cry it out method, but not until my kids were almost 1. I tried everything else, and nothing worked. Once they were off the bottle, it was time for them to be sleeping through the night, and no matter what I tried they woke up and wanted to stay awake for hours. The Dr. suggested the CIO method and it worked.
    It was heartbreaking to hear them cry, but they eventually fall asleep and it gets easier every night. They get in to the habit of going to bed on their own and it has stuck since. (they are 3 and 2 now)
    Best of luck, you will make it through this.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Maybe he needs tylenol. Is he teething? You can look at his gums and try to see if theres any spots that look really white, and if hes drooling a lot more than normal. Good Luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Put him to bed later. Wear him out.
    Anonymous

• have you tried giving him some cammomile tea or maybe give him a rub down with lavender oil? They have lavender scented baby oil now that you c an use to rub your baby down with. I know that lavender oil works because I use it when I can't sleep and it works on me like a charm.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 11:32 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My dd did that too around that age. Just keep putting him to bed and go in after about 5 minutes if he's crying, lay him back down and tell him 'it's bedtime, go to sleep, love you'...maybe rub his back a little DO NOT PICK HIM UP OUT OF THE CRIB! Then walk out, after another 7-10 minutes if he's still crying do it again. Just keep doing it until he finally goes to sleep....he just needs to know you're still there. It could be that maybe if he's still taking two naps a day that it's time to roll them together into one after lunchtime nap....just a suggestion.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 11:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my daughter went through this phase too, and thats exactly what it is, a phase. the only thing there is to do is cry it out. you just have to make sure u tell urself its a phase and it wont last forever. what i did was go rotate the laundry (slowly:) and i would sit on the porch and have a break. anything that gets ur mind off of just sitting there hearing him cry. good luck! i hope this helps! you are still a good mom and there is light at the end of the tunnel. he will learn to go to sleep.
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:37 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i'm with mommabear2008 on this one. i did that with my son, my dd is now 9 months old. she still has no problem putting herself to sleep, she's been sleeping through the night since about 6 months, but lately has been getting up in the middle of the night. i just do the CIO method too, in the middle of the night let her cry for about 20 minutes or so and then give them a bottle if they haven't put themselves to sleep.

speaking of which, it's what i'm doing now. i'm keeping myself occupied on here while listening to her cry...she's just so tired she won't go to sleep. ugh i hate this stage
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• and she's out! yay!! finally!! see? the CIO method DOES work! lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:54 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Thanks so much everyone for the advise! Hopefully this will pass soon...
    JustPeachy678

Answer by JustPeachy678 at 12:00 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My son was going through the same thing. The dr said to make sure the lights are out at 8pm and not turned on again until 8 am. I let him cry it out for about two days this is the third day and he seems to be doing okay. I read about the cry it out method and you can check on him every few minutes but do not pick him up or feed him. Each day check on him less often and eventually he will learn to self sooth.

I hope it works out for you, good luck
    LoriDuro

Answer by LoriDuro at 12:16 AM on May. 9, 2009