Staging your home to sell...

Do you think this is really important or not so much?

(When hubby and I were looking to buy, we were in a home that had a "shrine" to black men...the lady who lived there was a single white school teacher and had a closet in her bedroom with clippings and pictures of a bunch of various men...ONLY black...on the walls. It was seriously strange. I don't mean it was strange she liked black men and was white...it was strange she had it on display when buyers were looking through her home!)

timelessglass

Asked by timelessglass at 11:40 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• ABSOLUTELY!!! When my husband and I were looking at existing homes to buy we were amazed at what some people considered "open house" ready! That's why we ended up building our home--and this was at the height of the buyers market!

I look at it this way...if you take care of the details and present your home in the best possible light, it will impress upon potential buyers that the "bones" of the house (like heating, air conditioning, plumbing, roof, major appliances that are staying) have all been taken care of, and the new owners won't have much to worry about.

Staging can be relatively easy and inexpensive, and you're likely to get back whatever you spent on it in the sale of your home. Fresh coats of NEUTRAL paint, steam cleaning carpets, removing heavy draperies and blinds in favor of sheer panels/valances, de-cluttering by at least 50%, adding colorful annuals, candles, and other small "homey/cozy" details = more $$$!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I think it all depends on how the market is at the time and how many homes in that particular subdivision are for sale. If there are many comperable homes for sale, it might be worth it to get it staged. And the "shrine" is odd!!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Staging can definitely make the difference in if you make the sale, or how good of an offer you get.

Lori, gave really good ways to stage.

I will say though, as a mom, I think I would be able to overlook little kids messes here and there, that's near impossible to have 100% under control.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:40 PM on May. 9, 2009

• yes and no.. as long as it's clean, and little things are fixed up, and it's not to personal (like the lady you listed above), then I see no problem with it.. although I might have spent a second to check out the pics, see if they were hot, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:44 PM on May. 9, 2009