Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need To Revoke Absent Parents' Rights...Where Do I Start?

My daughter is about to turn 4 in June and I have been her only parent from the very beginning. My Fiance took over financially and emotionally since she was 3 months old. He is NOT the biological father, though. The biological father denied her from the start and wanted nothing to do with her. Wasn't @ the hospital and denied signing the birth certificate (even though I went ahead and gave her his last name). He never even held her. He went to jail after that because he beat me and I pressed charges. That was the last time I heard about him. I've been getting child support checks through mail. Now that he's out of jail and working, I want to be able to revoke ALL of his rights towards her. I just have no idea where to start and what smart moves to take ASAP. I also want to change her last name. Help, please!


Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You definatly need a lawyer, he sounds like an asshole and he also sounds like someone who will be happy to sign his rights away if it means he wouldn't have to pay child support anymore. Changing the name would be pretty easy once that is done. Same thing though you would need a lawyer for the paperwork and then you will go in front of a judge and they'll say yes or no. You shouldn't have any problem especially after his rights are terminated... Good Luck Darling!!!

    Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:34 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • Wow, sounds rough. I think u should find out where they have free legal aid services in ur area gl I hope everything works out

    Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:03 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • Start @ ur child support office. Explain 2 them the situation & if they r not the ones 2 help u, they should kno where 2 send u. Good luck!

    Answer by bridgeh2o at 12:04 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • You need a lawyer. Each state is different or i'd offer you some help. But in a situation like yours it sounds like you're gonna need a lawyer. Good luck.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 12:11 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • You don't say where you live, but finding not only a lawyer, but an advocate would be very helpful for you. You can search at the library for free legal aid in your area, ask your Department of Children's services, or search for an advocate. Let whoever helps you know everything that's been going on, and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Good luck.

    Answer by pahulu at 12:23 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • You can go to the court and petition that his rights be taken away, because he is not in her life at all you shouldn't have too many problems. Once you get his rights taken away you will be able to get your daughter's last name changed.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:46 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • My friend just went through the same sort of thing. Here in PA, the law states that you have to make a legitamate effort to find him and properly let him know your intentions. She got a lawyer for about $2000, and they sent letters to his last known address, and put ads in the local papers, etc. The lawyer drew up the proper paperwork, helped her file, got witnesses lined up (me included) to vouch for her new husband in court.

    Good luck!

    Answer by Kauna at 10:17 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • talk to a lawyer and get the paperwork sent to him- he wont have to pay child support anymore so that may be incentive for him to sign over his rights- then as for the last name change- if ur going to make it ur hubbys last name then u will need to have him adopt him- the same lawyer should be able to help u with that as well- good luck and i know wut ur going through!....

    Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:02 PM on May. 9, 2009