Dry scalp...

My son is 6 weeks old and has dry skin on the top of his head...it looks like he's peeling after a sunburn. It's not red or scaley and there's no yellow or discolorations like they describe cradle cap to look like. I tried brushing it out but it doesn't help, it just keeps peeling. Any idea what it could be and how to treat it??

Ness87

Asked by Ness87 at 11:55 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • try rubbing his head with olive oil to help moisturize it
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:55 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Look up Cradle Cap on Google
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I looked up pictures and info on cradle cap but the pictures dont match what his looks like. It just looks like a sunburn peeling without the redness.
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 11:58 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Try just putting some shea butter baby lotion on it and if that doesnt help after a week, bath him and after his bath put a dab of baby oil on it and that should help. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:00 AM on May. 9, 2009

• my son had that bad.. i kept putting on baby oil.. Also i don't know where you live but Redken it is a Professional hair line makes cleanse bars. The are called cleanse bars for men. The are the best thing to use if ur son has cradle cap and dry skin. it just a PH balance bar. And its safe to use on children
    Nov2107

Answer by Nov2107 at 12:01 AM on May. 9, 2009

• How long should I leave on the baby oil and how often should I do it?--every day or what? I know I need to bathe him and wash his hair afterwards...I just want to make sure I'm doing it effectively. Thanks for all the help and answers so far!
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 12:10 AM on May. 9, 2009

• i dont know what it could be, but i know you could try coconut oil. That will cure any dry skin.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:13 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I would say since your baby is so young it is just normal peeling from being in the amniotic fluid for so long and then now being out in the dry air. I would just make sure you are NOT giving him a bath everyday. Most babys only need a bath every 2-3 days. Use baby lotion when ever you think you need it and it will eventually go away. All babies peel and some peel in weird places. GOOD LUCK!
    mommyof3nluvnit

Answer by mommyof3nluvnit at 12:17 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Wont the baby lotion on his scalp make his hair greasy?
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 12:19 AM on May. 9, 2009

• put baby oil on his head and brush his hair do twice a day it should go away
    LyndseyBlake980

Answer by LyndseyBlake980 at 2:54 AM on May. 9, 2009