Does caffine affect the baby if i breastfeed?

if i drink a soda or coffee how will it affect my baby if at all???

LeahMalone54

Asked by LeahMalone54 at 12:11 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't drink soda, but I drink A LOT of coffee. I have been BFing for 10.5 months with this one and 4 others before him and have never had a problem.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:16 AM on May. 9, 2009

• In order for an amount of caffeine that would affect your baby to cross into your breastmilk, you would have to drink six or more cups of coffee a day. There is no need to abstain from caffeine, but if you drink coffee I'd suggest keeping it to 6 cups maximum. Also - I strongly advise avoiding "energy drinks" which not only have high doses of caffeine, but may contain other chemicals as well.

I don't drink coffee, but I drink about 6-8 glasses of iced tea every day - it's never been a problem and I've been breastfeeding for 6 years (not the same child - I have four kids LOL). I assume that some babies might be particularly sensitive to it, and if your baby gets overstimulated when you drink coffee, you might want to stick to decaf for now (or switch to tea which has less caffeine) and try again later.

Chicory tea has a coffee taste, lots of great nutrients, and no caffeine, if you are looking for a substitute.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:24 AM on May. 9, 2009

• It depends on how old the baby is. The younger the baby is, the more it affects them. Did you know that the half life of caffeine in a 2 week old is 90 HOURS? As in, only half of it has been broken down in 90 HOURS. So take into account the cumulative effects if you have one beverage a day. It's crazy! However, by the time they are 6 months, the half life is about 2 1/2 hours, so it's not as big of a deal. Personally, I have a latte (with two shots) a few days a week, here and there, and my 8 month old son doesn't seem to be too affected by it. I'm not sure where Collinsky got her info about it taking 6 cups to affect breastmilk, but my info is coming from "Medications and Mother's Milk" by Dr. Thomas W. Hale.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:25 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I have been breastfeeding for almost nine months now and I drink coffee EVERY morning regularly and occasionally have a soda or something too but not all the time, so no caffien doesnt effect your baby if your just drinking a small amount now if youre drinking tons of caffien in a day then I would say slow it down
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 1:46 AM on May. 9, 2009

• depends on the child. I found DD did better if I drank caffine free coke
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:44 AM on May. 9, 2009

• In moderation it is usually fine. Some babies are very sensitive (especially preemies and newborns). It is not true that you have to drink over 6 cups for it to get into your breastmilk!! Check out Breastfeeding and Caffine

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:21 PM on May. 9, 2009