Know of any good books?

I've already read all of the Twilight series, just finished reading all of the Harry Potter books and I've read all of Dan Brown's books. Looking for something else but I just recently got into reading and I don't know what authors are good. I like books that come in a series b/c I read so fast and I like for the story to continue past 1 book. I like fiction for the most part. I like the fantasy characters (Vampires, Witches, Werewolves, etc.). Just started reading the original Dracula by Bram Stoker. If anyone has any suggestions of good books please let me know!

amyrw

Asked by amyrw at 12:23 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Jodi Piccoult is an excellent author her books don't go in series but are very good. they are based on major things that have happened in the news...school shootings, organ donation, "designer" babies but are fictional. and you get everyones perspective. for example her one on school shootings (can't remember the name) you get the shooters, the cops, the kids that where there and the parents perspective on things. and all of her books are written that way, i have read all of her books and it never takes me longer than a day to read them b/c i get so engrossed in them i can't even sleep.
    if you like "series" than you could go with J.D.Robb, who is nora roberts under a false name and those are murder mysteries type books that take place in the future. those are good too and there are a ton of them out. the murder is solved in each book however the characters evolve and continue into the next one
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:29 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Janet Evanovich is really good.

The first book is called One for the Money and so far there are 14 other books in the series. It's the Stephanie Plum series. It's about a female Bounty Hunter. They are fun to read.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 12:30 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Oh boy we have the same taste in books! I have TONS of suggestions for you!

Terry Goodkind (11 book series)
    Brent Weeks (Trilogy)
    Robert Jordan (he never finished the series before he died)
    Elizabeth Haydon (6 book series... still waiting for the next)
    Jacqueline Carey (be prepared for some pretty messed up sex scenes, but the books are still really good)
    Can't remember the author, but the book is calle The Redemption of Althalus
    Those are my favorties, but I hear Terry Brooks is good, and a lot of people like the Belgariad series.

I love reading :D
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:35 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestions!! I have found recently that reading actually helps with my anxiety so I would love to keep it up. I used to hate reading, maybe b/c it was something that is forced on you in school, and when I saw the movie Twilight I wanted to get the full story so I started reading the books and now I've started a vicious cycle where I can't stop reading now. Its calmed me down so much that I haven't needed to take my anxiety meds for a month b/c I stopped having panic attacks.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:54 AM on May. 9, 2009

• You should read Ted Dekkers Red, Black and White. They are great!! I've read the series at least 3 times, he also wrote smaller books to continue the story with the "kids" of the people in
    "Red, Black and White" They are Christian books but, they are mystery/thriller with great story line.
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 1:23 AM on May. 9, 2009

• The Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. The HBO series True Blood, about Vampires, is based on them.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:30 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Patrick Rothfuss! "Name of the Wind" and has another coming out soon
    Elizabeth Haydon's series is wonderful and I have read them several times.
    Robert Jordan is always a good read.

There are so many books out there that are wonderful. These are just some of my favs.
    Taerna

Answer by Taerna at 2:37 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Oh yes, Terry Brooks is fantastic. I also really like the Redwall series, I think it's Brian Jaques...but it's 2 am and am getting to sleepy to be sure. lol
    Have you tried the Narnia series? There are more there then just the ones they did the movies on, speaking of which - what about the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings? Excellent books. Oh I could go on forever! lol
    lol If you can find them, check on Amazon.....the "Chicks in Chainmail" books are really good. No, I'm not kidding about the name. If you've never heard of them, they are collections of short stories about woman warriors.
    Have fun!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:07 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I loved reading The Vampire Lestat books many years ago.
    I need to find them and read them again.
    I've also been buying books at random at CVS and Walmart about Vampires which have been pretty good. There seems to be a boom of vampire books out now since Twilight became big.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:13 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Just like the last answer, I was going to post the Anne Rice vampire/witch series. It starts with The Witching Hour, that is one of my favorite books. You should definitely check them out.
    JamiandBen

Answer by JamiandBen at 10:38 AM on May. 9, 2009