If your child goes to a Christian school

Ohio Christian School tells student if he attends his girlfriend's prom he will be suspended and won't be allowed to graduate with his class. Do you feel the school has the right to dictate what your child does when their not in school. IMO it's none of the school's business.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_re_us/us_school_dance_flap

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 12:33 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:44 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Not saying I agree with the rules... however, he did know about them and signed a statement of cooperation.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:47 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I totally agree with the school on this one. He signed saying he would abide by the rules...If they had to get permission from their school's principal, then it's up to the school to decide.
    I think they are excellent rules...kids need boundaries, especially in the world today.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 2:00 AM on May. 9, 2009

• So the only lesson the kid is getting out of this is if he'd lied (withheld the truth) he'd be better off. Good job school!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:09 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Way to teach kids to repress things and tell lies. Sounds like a real wiener of a school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I was raised Baptist. We always danced and listened to whatever music we wanted to when the adults weren't around. I thought this was an ignorant rule as a teen...I think it is ignorant as the mother of teens. It's stupidity like and social ignorance like this that made me leave the church. I think that the school is wrong to try to control this kid's life when he isn't on school property.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on May. 9, 2009

• i wouldn't have had my kid sign anything that dictated his after-school activities. but since he did, he agreed to abide by them. sounds like someone's wanting the school to 'bend the rules', even though they knew what the 'rules' were. (never ceases to amaze me, people who think they are being ostracized/beat down/singled-out when they attempt to de-establish posted/signed/agreed-to establishments.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:43 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Footloose, kick off your Sunday shoes!
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 12:52 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Well, having been in a christian school half of my educational years and the first 5 of my oldests educational years...I DON"T like ANY school, public, or private telling me what I can and cant do. They don't know the intentions of my heart. While I might not agree with a certain lifestyle, if I want to go and support a person, then I will. I think there moderation. One school I looked into mentioned monitoring the students myspace and facebook pages for inappropriate content and I had a problem with that. First because I already do that and I don't need a babysitter. I am currently pondering the idea of my 14 yr old attending a private christian school next year and we will have to sign papers saying we agree to their rules and principles. The thing is with this school is that its non denom and there are no such rules that dictate legalism or what we are to do outside of school. They just want the kids to behave appropriately
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:36 PM on May. 9, 2009

• in school. There are certain forms that I have to fill out such as a statement of faith saying that I agree that we believe the fundamental doctrine of christianity, two teacher recommendations and a pastoral recommendation. None of that is an issue for me. I doubt very seriously they will be monitoring our outside activities, but also I would question as to whether or not this student signed a specific form stating he would not go to an outside function. Thats not usually part of the paperwork. So no, I don;t think they have a right to dictate to him how to handle life outside of school. It doesnt mean his beliefs change, it just means he cares deeply about the person involved and he wants to support them.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:40 PM on May. 9, 2009