Spitting up

So my baby has been spitting up basically since she was born she is now five months. Sometimes when she spits up its like fountains coming out. We have told doctor after doctor and they say some babies just spit up more than others and she will grow out of it from any where from six to nine months I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did. She wears bibs all day and I have to change it over and over cause it is always wet. If she gets the hiccups she stops spitting up until the next feeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my sister spit up alot wen she was a baby, my parents said it was like the excorsist movie, she was a projectile vomiter, now shes 23 and has definately grown out of it lol
    abbyl2490

Answer by abbyl2490 at 12:54 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My son did this, it was shocking at first. I thought something was really wrong. Turns out, he outgrew it. Consider the fact that it's milk AND saliva so it's more than what she took in. Just keep an eye on her for choking, make sure she's upright and hopefully she will outgrow it soon. Maybe she needs smaller amounts of fluids more often?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:57 AM on May. 9, 2009

• The do spit up a lot sometimes, i think as long as she is keep some down she should be fine. Do not ever under estimate your self though if you are worried get another doctors opinion. ( oh have you tried to switch formula) We had to stop breast feeding our twins and it took a while to find a formula that our daughter could digest easily. Good luck!
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 1:20 AM on May. 9, 2009

• my DD used to all the time and about a month ago (she's 10 months now so at 9 months) i noticed that she stop spitting up as much (maybe once a day now, if that). I thought for the longest time something was wrong and her pedi telling me that she would grow out of it was crazy. I was like "but you don't see how often she does!"
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 1:29 AM on May. 9, 2009

• my 1 month old son spit up alot sometimes but not alot
    mommy_of_jacob1

Answer by mommy_of_jacob1 at 1:32 AM on May. 9, 2009

• First of all, there can be many reasons for her spitting up. Having gone through this with my baby, might I make a few suggestions.

1)Breastmilk-superior to formula, if you are breastfeeding, don't switch to formula. You may have an oversupply of milk and she could be getting more foremilk than hindmilk, the higher in fat stuff(the milk that helps a baby grow). Think of your breast as a faucet, when you turn the hot water on, it's cold at first, then the water gets hot. Your breast works the same way. Feed on one side each feeding, so that way she gets both foremilk and hindmilk, both are important. Then next feeding, feed on the other side. If the other side gets too uncomfortable before the next feeding, express some of the milk, just enough so that you are comfortable, not too much because it will signal your breast to make more.

2)Reflux- discuss with her doctor
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 1:54 AM on May. 9, 2009

• CONTINUED

3)Protein from cow's milk- making it's way through your breastmilk. If this is the case, eliminate dairy for a few days, if there is no difference, than that is not the problem.

I also suggest keeping your baby upright for about 30 minutes after you feed her, it helps. If you do have an oversupply and your foremilk and hindmilk is imbalanced try using the tips I gave you, it takes a while, but eventually will even out. A good way of knowing is you won't get engorged or leak as often.

Good Luck, and lemme know how it goes.
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 1:59 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My dd had acid reflux and was projectile vomiting a good two feet after each feeding. The doctor put her on meds and within a few weeks she was fine. I would definitly check with you doctor. It could be as simple as an allergy to the breastmilk or formula, or could be something more. Good luck!
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 4:48 AM on May. 9, 2009

• If youre not breastfeeding, it could just be the type of formula upsets her tummy. In that case, and this sounds crazy... give her a teaspoon of pickle juice. I think the baby product is called brac water or something?? Its a lot more expensive than pickle juice and my doctor said its the same thing.

Formulas are a lot harder for babies' tummies to break down so they start making more stomache acid. The vinegar in the pickle juice is a base and helps settle things. Its like Rolaids for the young.

Or it could be that she is swallowing a lot of air. This is common with bottle babies. Just make sure you burp her well and sit her up in her vibratey seat for a little while after she eats. Not only does it help work up the burps and put her to sleep, having her in a sitting position rather than onher back makes sure the food stays down. Babies cant close off the back of their thoats, so no lying down flat right after a feeding
    CartersMom125

Answer by CartersMom125 at 3:27 PM on May. 9, 2009

• CONTINUED.....

A good trick to know for babies with tummy times is to have the mattress in her crip elevated on one side so that she isnt flat while sleeping. This also cuts down on her chances of having SIDS. Jus remember not to leave her propped up on a pillow or on blankets. Make sure that it is the mattress itself that is elevated.
    CartersMom125

Answer by CartersMom125 at 3:29 PM on May. 9, 2009