how old...

was your baby when you put cereal in their bottle? and how old when they started on solid foods? (veggie and fruit purees)

pringles_697

Asked by pringles_697 at 12:58 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal should never make it's way into your baby's bottle. There's no reason for it, and it presents hazards including choking and increased risk of diabetes.

The AAP recommends introducing solids after the baby turns 6 months.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:01 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree, some people do put cereal in their babies bottle, but I preferred to wait till she was old enough to spoon feed, And start solids at 6 months...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:02 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I never put cereal in his bottle. It's sometimes reccomended for reflux, but besides that there is no reason for it.

I started solids at 4 months, but the current AAP guideline is 6 months. Go with your gut on that one and be sure to take care with alergies. Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for great recipes and info on starting solids.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:03 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My son did have reflux so he was on cereal at a month old. He was around 4 months when he started eating solids
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:08 AM on May. 9, 2009

• my daughter is 10 weeks old and she is eating 6 to 8 ounces every 1 to 1 1/2 hours
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 1:15 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I have 3 LO's and have never put cereal in their bottles.
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 1:18 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My minor in college is child development, we were just recently studying new guidelines for children and eating, and they are now suggesting that cereal never be put in a child's bottle-research suggests it has a bunch of negative side effects, including a higher risk of developing obesity. Solids should start with baby cereal in a bowl at 6 months, then veggies, then fruit, then meat. I hope that helps!
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 1:25 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I never put cereal in my kids bottles because we didn't use them. I nursed both of them til they went on to a sippy cup, about 13-14 months. My BIL's girlfriend puts cereal and fruit into her babies bottle, that kid is so fat even the doctor is telling her to not give him so much.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:44 AM on May. 9, 2009

• No cereal in the bottle. Most nutritionists are now recommending starting solids at 6 months, skipping the cereal and starting with avocado (lots of good fats for babies growing brains). Solids given the first year are for the experience of eating, nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula. It is important to avoid the allergy trigger foods the first year; this is not a complete list, but includes wheat, soy, dairy, citrus, strawberries egg white. Nuts, honey and chocolate should not be given until after 2.
    Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local library; information at www.superbabyfood.com.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My DD got cereal in her bottle every once in a while starting at about 10 weeks old I think and only before bedtime. And she started spoon feeding at 3 1/2 months. she is 10 months now and is self feeding table foods.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 1:40 PM on May. 9, 2009