Shoes?

My 10.5 month old is going to be walking soon. He's pulling up and cruising, and has started to let go for a few seconds at a time. I know that shoes are bad for pre-walkers, but I imagine I'll need them soon, right?

How do you know when your baby is ready for hard soled shoes?

SamanthaAgain

Asked by SamanthaAgain at 1:04 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My ten moth old is getting them this week-end for the same reason. Our twins had them a few weeks before they starting really walking and I do think that it helped them they were walking like troopers within a week or two.
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 1:08 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Soft soled shoes are the easiest to walk in when they first learn. Stick to them for a while.
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 1:17 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I always eard it ws best to leave them in soft soled shoes until you planned to let them cruise on their own in public. Like in the store or a church... so they dont hurt their feet or get them wet in some nasty mystery fluid.
    CartersMom125

Answer by CartersMom125 at 3:51 AM on May. 9, 2009

• our son is still mostly in soft soled shoes, he does have hard soles for if we go to the park or for a walk. he's just shy of 10 months old and took his first steps about 2 weeks ago. we didn't put the hard soles on him till he was actually walking, and it took a few day for him to adjust cause he was used to the soft ones.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• No shoes as they are learning to walk. The only time you need shoes is for protection if they are walking outside. They should be learning to walk in bare (socked) feet.

Hard soled shoes are when they are older, when they're steady at walking and that's all that's available (older toddler shoes/bigger sizes)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Shoes aren't needed unless they are outside and may injury their foot. inside, it's best to go barefoot so baby can feel his/her feet on the floor and build on those balance skills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My daughter has been wearing shoes... well, since she was born... The past pair that she just grew out of were little teni shoes. She just turned 10 months and is walking now. She is barefoot at home but is almost always wearing shoes when we go out. She doesn't look dressed with out them. Plus I LOVE baby shoes! Every one seems to think she is walking early (first steps at 7 1/2 months) so apparently wearing shoes (and they weren't always soft soled) didn't hinder her at all.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 5:09 PM on May. 9, 2009