• In the Spotlight:

Is it Ok to buy a potty for my 14 month old and put it in the bathroom so he can sit on it when I go?

He's not really showing any signs of being ready, but since he always follows me in there anyway, is it ok just to put him on his when I go? Or would he think of it more of a toy then? Like is that ruining it for when he is ready??

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 1:06 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Absolutely. That is how my mother potty trained us & that's how I potty train mine. Just ask him if he wants to try. If not, no big deal. When he decides he is ready, he'll go & then you can sing the potty song! 

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 5:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I think letting him get used to it being there is a great idea. I'm all about baby steps. My 10 month old loves it when I flush the toilet. He actually gets mad at me when I sit on it because he wants to look lol.

Just make it as stress free as possible. Even if he plays with it, it's still him getting used to it.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:08 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Of course it is ok... I just never used the baby potty, my DD started potty training on the big potty because I wanted her to be used to it, not a baby potty... It's perfectly fine though, and works for many mothers, I just didn't want to have one of those kids that was afraid of the big potty...LOL. Good Luck.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:09 AM on May. 9, 2009

• yes. you can introduce and encourage the idea as soon as they are old enough to walk.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:09 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Why not? :) I don't think it would hurt if he knew what it was for.
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 1:09 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Hi I was just reading my Super Nanny book (Great Advice & she said that if they can't comunicate when then have to go or show you a sign then its to early I think 14 months is way early & if you go out there will be alot of accidents trying to find a bathroom etc........ I say relax & wait he's a baby Can he talk?? My son is 20 months & I still haven't started I'm waiting until he's 2 (reccomended age) Next time your in a book store ckeck out some books they really will help you : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm not planning on actual training right now!!! I just want him aware of what it is and what we do there, lol. I really don't want to ruin anything and I NEVER would push it on him...just the fact that it's there and he's aware...
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:23 AM on May. 9, 2009

• We started potty training at 14 months. Worked well for us.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:24 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm potty training my 15 month old. She rips off her diapers when she's dirty, so I'm thinking it's time. Sitting on the potty early is a great idea, he will get the idea of what it's for, and won't be scared of it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:40 AM on May. 9, 2009

• That is exactly how I introduced the potty to all three of my kids .
    Taerna

Answer by Taerna at 2:33 AM on May. 9, 2009