Good books to teach your child to read?

My son is going to be starting kindergarten this year, and I plan on home-schooling. He already has the basics for reading. He knows all his letters, and sounds, and can read and spell any three letter cvc word, and some easier four letter words. I want to make sure he stays on track, and hopefully have him reading fully on his own by the end of the year. Do you know of any good books that I can use to help teach him to read. I've tried the BOB Books, and they are great, but I think a little too easy for him. I was thinking abut getting him the Dick and Jane books, but I just don't know. What are you're 5-6 year olds reading?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:06 AM on May. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First teach him sight words. (A local school website may have a list of them or you can just do a search for kindergarten sight words.)

Start with the shortest (1 letter) then work your way up to the hardest (3 or 4 letter) As he learns words start writing sentences (no matter how stupid, as long as they make sense) with those words. (I can see. You can too.) (Get him all excited he just read his first sentences!)

Read him basic books like Dr,. Seuss books. Every time the words come up he knows, make HIM read them.

Teach him PARTS of words and how they sound. "ing" "ed" "er", etc. Add these to any of the sight words to show them how it works. Show him words where the sight words are part of a bigger word. (i.e. into has in and to)

Just go to your library and find books that have enough words where he will get practice with this daily.

Our almost 6 year old is at the end of K year at a 2nd grade reading level.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on May. 9, 2009

• What works best for kids is a combination of whole word and phonics The Bob books are really great, especially for phonics. Label every item in your house with big note cards or plain paper: door, window, stove, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:17 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Check out DIY Reader books. They've got levels all the way from Pre-reader, to level 5, and you can then choose what fits your child's current skill.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:52 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I got a copy on Amazon used and it's a great book. The lessons are very well laid out and are about 15-20 minutes each day. You can look up some reviews from customers too.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:32 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My dd loved Bob books. I bought them on ebay.I would consider selling mine if you are interested I can look at which ones I have. Send a msg if you decide you want some.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:42 PM on May. 11, 2009

• They have 3 different sets of BOB books. Have you tried all 3 series? Some of the Dr. Suess books are good for learning to read.
    CurvieMomma

Answer by CurvieMomma at 7:29 PM on May. 11, 2009