Transitioning to a crib

We're attempting (unsuccessfully, so far) to transition our 8 month old from our bed to the crib in our room (next to my side of the bed). I'm BFing, no CIO, and I've already read The No Cry Sleep Solution (some help, but still a long way to go). I could sure use some advice! I'm really frazzled. I've tried nursing him, then putting him in, and waiting there with him while he falls asleep, but he wakes soon after I leave, and won't soothe himself back to sleep. He isn't good at soothing himself, since the breast has been so available at night. Any advice on getting him to soothe himself would be a big help, too. Again, we don't believe in CIO. Thanks!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 1:14 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly, I just think it's going to take LOTS of time, doing it the gentle way. (which I agree with)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My son has never been in a crib until the begining of this week.. I just put some toys of his in there and would put him in it in our livingroom and let him play just to get a feel for it and that has seemed to help a lot.. You might try it he may just need to know it's not as scary as he thinks and thats it can be a fun place as well as a place to rest
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 2:08 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I know y'all don't believe in CIO, but what about mild CIO? Start with five or ten minutes of y'all not being there. Do this for a few nights. Then as he starts to get used to it, move it to 10-15 minutes. Chances are the first night he'll cry after five or ten minutes. If you're more comfortable, add 1-2 minutes a night if it feels easier and less CIO for you. After you get to the point where he isn't crying for the first 15 minutes, you're generally in the clear. By that time true sleep will take over and he'll snooze through the night. Its the same method my aunt used with her two kids, she doesn't CIO either. Just be consistent. Remember 3 minutes of crying one night may mean no crying the next night
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on May. 9, 2009

• This is a good question, my daughter is almost 3 and we still can't get her to sleep in her own bed. We even got her a bed that looks like a slug bug type car. She likes to play in it but will not sleep in it.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 4:30 AM on May. 9, 2009

• We're already giving him play time in there a few times a day, so that he can get used to it, at least. He's pulling himself up to standing, so he loves doing that in there. I am also going to put a lovey in there, one of his favorite toys that he can cuddle up with. 5 or 10 minutes of crying is a long time. A minute or two I can tolerate, and there are times when he will go to sleep after a few seconds of crying, but as a mom, you know the cries that say, "No way in hell am I going to sleep!!!"
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:18 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I transitioned Jaba to crib by first getting her used to sleeping somewhere else. I'd set her up with her own quasi-dark sleeping space in the living room (with no view of the TV), generally after a bottle and bath. Baths are so relaxing! Especially with chamomile.

So I'd set her up and let her fall asleep right next to me. I'd let her stay asleep for 15-20 minutes or so, then I'd move her. You just have to wait 'em out long enough for him to go to a heavy sleep state.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 10:30 AM on May. 13, 2009