19 Year Old is Lost

Son graduated high school last year with a 4.0 GPA. We dropped the ball on scholarships, he didn't get any. He went to community college for one semester, got on the Dean's list. Economy plummeted and his dad lost job, I got a pay cut. Son can't find work ANYWHERE, feels like he can't continue schooling.

He's a great kid, does dishes, laundry, and many other indoor/outdoor chores. He's not social at all, spends most of his free time chatting online/playing video games. He's in a rut with no job, no school, I think he's starting to feel like a failure; I saw him crying a few days ago when he thought he was home alone. I feel like a failure.

His personality is phenomenal if it weren't for his shyness, I've sneaked onto his computer and read some of his writing - it's hilarious and very well written. He aspires to be a writer, and loves writing, but can't get any further with it. He's overweight. I can tell he feels lost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• awww...that is sad. I'm sure that we have all felt that way at some point! Like they say when you feel like you have reached the bottom the only way is UP! You are not a failure. Sometimes when one door closes another one opens, he will find his way, it may take a bit...But sooner or later he will figure it out. Be very supportive of his writing for now!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 2:21 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Can't he apply to FAFSA for a grant? It seems like he should be able to stay in school so he can write like he wants to!
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:25 AM on May. 9, 2009

• What about church maybe he could go with you and pray about it.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:27 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks for the responses, I will definitely support his writing, though he's been trying to keep it more of a secret because he's self-conscious about it all. I will look into FAFSA for sure. I would take him to church to pray, but he I have not been a practicing Christian in over 10 years, and he's an Agnostic which means he doesn't necessarily believe in anything, just the possibility of everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Have him try to get articles in the paper for the shelter pets maybe? (newspaper)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Honestly, you really need to have a talk with your son. With all that's going on it would be very easy for him to become depressed. I am sure he would like to hear from you that you are proud of him and encourage him to share his writtings, if he is good then maybe that door can be opened for him thru the local newspaper. Good luck!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:50 AM on May. 9, 2009

• fastweb.com they have all kinds of "scholarships" and money for school for all ages
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 4:12 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Well, one website that could be great for him is www.helium.com .

It is free to write and they have a NEED for articles and from what you say, your son sounds pretty intelligent with what you have read......tell him to join, and write about all he knows!

They have SO many areas to write about from gaming, to farming, to gardening, to television. and alot of themes. My one article is still #1 after a year and Im proud of that and I am FAR from being a writer.

They give you titles they need articles for and there are quite a few he can write in and perhaps make money from them! Just let him know to RANK other articles. I've not made much from it, but the more you post and rank other articles, you can make a bit. They may pick HIS article for a magazine or two as well!!

Mystik-Skye

Answer by Mystik-Skye at 4:57 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Also with Helium, they have a great forum that is FREE as well and you can ask advice from other writers.

They are great and love when one of their writers articles are picked up for a magazine! As I said you CAN make money from the MARKETPLACE side of it.......companies ask you to write an article about what they are looking for...if they like it......you can make a bit of money from it.

They tell you what the writers payment would be if chosen.......

He may really find his niche there and tell him to enjoy it........you may like it as well to write about topics you may know about.

Tell him GOOD LUCK for me!
    Mystik-Skye

Answer by Mystik-Skye at 5:01 AM on May. 9, 2009

• pell grants pell grats pell grants!!!!!!!!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:03 AM on May. 9, 2009