Why Do People Blow Their Horn When Going Through A Tunnel?

So i've always wondered why people honk their horns when they are going through a tunnel, i've tried to come up with all sorts of reasons why like maybe its good luck, maybe they want to hear the horn echo, or maybe they just want to annoy others, i dont know can someone please tell me why?

kandy800

Asked by kandy800 at 2:29 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• its all about the echooooooooooo
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:33 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Maybe because of the echo! My dad always honked his horn in a tunnel and when he would forget my sister and I would tell him to honk it. It was fun when we were younger!
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 2:33 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Ummm, just for fun I assume. When I was a kid, my dad always let us role down the windows and he would honk the horn.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:34 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Echo and just being a dork.I did it when I was on the lower part of the Bay Bridge in San Francisco.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:02 AM on May. 9, 2009

• i've always held my breath. still do. . lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on May. 9, 2009

• There's one around here that you HAVE to because there is a blind drive on the other side, so if you don't you might get hit. But otherwise, it's just cause the echo is awesome. Roll down your windows and try it sometime.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:19 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My friend in Long Beach did it for good luck. I don't think that's everyone else's reason for it, though.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 3:52 AM on May. 9, 2009

• It makes my kids laugh!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:20 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Tunnels, especially ones with curves, and especially if they are one-laners, can be dangerous. Honking your horn can alert someone coming the other direction to slow down, be cautious, and stick as far to their side as possible. The same is true for going around curves on regular roads when you can't see the other side (due to a mountain, rock, etc.).

If it's a straight-shot tunnel, though, must just be for fun.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 8:53 AM on May. 9, 2009

• LOL....I've never come across that in any of the tunnels here in VA....but if it happened it would be because the cars in front weren't moving fast enough.
    Here in VA we have the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and traffic is always backed up for miles! Know why? Because people hesitate when they come to the tunnel and then slow down to a crawl. But once you get through to the other side there are no backups because everyone speeds up to the speed limit! It's crazy!
    A fun tunnel, or I should say tunnels, are on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I forget how many miles long that bridge is (15 maybe?) over the water, but there are two tunnels and each one spans about 2 miles long. Tourists love it.
    Anyway, those of us who live in VA really hate the tunnels because of the backups.....grrrrr!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:57 AM on May. 9, 2009