switching docters because of privacy issues what to do

i had a docter who my whole faimly goes to but because i have differant beliefs than the rest of my faimly about vacanatoins and some other health issues they have no need to know about, i believe my doctor was slipping info to family members what do i do about it isnt that illegal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes it is illegal.... see if u signed anything about hippaa which are the privacy papers for the privacy act. if so ask for a copy of it and it should tell u what your rights are.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:50 AM on May. 9, 2009

• yes but think of the Dr.s point of view it was prob. done out of concern for your kids! do not sue just realize you are the ? and people do not know what diseases may reappear???
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:52 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I highly doubt you will ever be able to prove that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on May. 9, 2009

• have you talked to him? tell him you do not want your family to know stuff about you? If you guys have always went to him then he probly normally talks to them about things
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:46 AM on May. 9, 2009

• born777 is right it is illegal. It doesn't matter what your Dr. Point of veiw is , if your over the age of 18 and have children they are in your charge. Check the Hippaa laws for all your legal rights. As for doing anything about it , I dought anything could come of it. If I did not wish to use him as your Doctor anymore I would exsplain to the him why I was choosing to change doctors so he would understand the mistake.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 4:19 AM on May. 9, 2009

• itis illigal it is againsthippa regulations and you can report it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:55 AM on May. 9, 2009

• It is very illegal. Report him to the state medical board. Will your family members testify to what he told them? Privacy is a very important part of a doctor patient relationship. So report him. And Shaqbe4u I don't know about your state but in my state a doctor has to keep things private starting at the age of 16 even from parents. When I turned 16 my dr. who was my parents dr. told me that from then on anything I told him and anything he did he was legally not allowed to tell my parents.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:36 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes it is illegal. Doctors are not allowed to realease or share any information about a patient, a patient's children, or a what a patient said to anyone other than other doctors on a strict need to know basis. It is going to be hard to prove that he said anything to your family unless they would be willing to testify for you that he did in fact say tell them information about you. Like the other posters said, I would check to make sure you signed some sort of privacy act and see what it says. If indeed you did and there is something in there saying that information about you cannot be released, which I guarentee there is, you need to report him. Even though it was just your family he told things too, what is stopping him from telling others?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:50 AM on May. 9, 2009