Have you tried adding water to whole milk and 100% juices to stretch them?

They work just as well in gravies, recipes, etc., and the juices are more healthy for your pancreas-not as much concentrated sugars.

MomaNana2008

Asked by MomaNana2008 at 4:52 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• IN GRAVYS HOW??
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 4:58 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I add water to 100% juices, not to stretch them, but to cut down on the sugars. I usually add about 30% water proportionate to a regular cup of juice. I do not water down the milk....I just buy skim or 2%. Unless I making a really rich recipe, I've found 2% milk to work perfectly fine in recipes requiring milk.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:53 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I buy 1% milk, so I don't water it down, but I do add water to most juices. Not because I want to stretch them, but because I find them too sweet otherwise.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:32 AM on May. 9, 2009

• We have mixed reconstituted nonfat dry milk and whole milk to lower the fat but not cut the calcium and vitamin D value of the milk. We do not drink juice; we prefer the actual fruit and all of it's natural fiber, vitamins and minerals.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:57 AM on May. 9, 2009

• We drink water. Juices are pretty much empty calories, and dairy is an inefficient delivery source for fat and calcium.
    For good fats, eat avocado, and add ground flax seed, flax oil, hemp oil and other DHA rich additives to foods.
    For calcium, eat green leafy vegetables and beans. Great information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:42 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I tried the watered down milk thing, yuck! even my 2 year old did not like it, however I buy my juices frozed or juice them my self and that way I can control the sugars
    sdgd21

Answer by sdgd21 at 3:59 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No I haven't I am pretty much an organic girl so I do not drink whole milk.I make fresh smothies and our family drinks organic juice,
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 4:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No, I have NEVER watered down milk or juice for any reason. Why bother giving it to them if you are going to water it down and mess with the nutrients? If you are going to water down whole milk, you might as well buy skim.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i do water down juice. we get frozen can orange juice and its says mix it with 3 cans of water and i put 4 cans i think that it taste better that way because its too strong. milk i dont water down that would be just nasty.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 12:10 AM on May. 10, 2009

• You mention doing this to make it stretch. Are you talking cost wise? I add water to juices because it's hard to keep kids on the 4 oz limit. This way they can have a little more. As for milk, skim milk is the cheapest. And nonfat powdered milk is too. Add some of the powdered to the skim and it will taste more like 2% and you'll save money...and calories. As for dairy being inefficient to provide calcium, what else would be better? Pills? Dairy is a nutritious way to add calcium.
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 1:42 AM on May. 11, 2009