Burial or cremation?

When you die, do you want to be buried or cremated? Just curious. I know some religions don't allow burials, and some don't allow cremation. I am going to be cremated, even though burial is the "tradition" in my family. I don't think about this stuff much, but I am going to a funeral today and it's on my mind.

7mom1977

Asked by 7mom1977 at 7:07 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I want to be cremated, no particular reason though.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 7:33 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I too want to be cremated, after whatever organs that can be, are donated.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:41 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I want to be cremated. I don't want my kids feeling obligated to visit a patch of dirt and guilty when they don't. Death will free my spirit from my body...so the body is just an empty container. I've come to enjoy this container and can't imagine worms crawling in the mouth that kissed my kids. Cremation is against my faith and my family traditions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I want to be cremated, organs donated. Burial is a tradition for the rest of my family, but I don't like that tradition. Well, the wake part anyways. When my aunt, who was like a second mother to me passed, I had to go to the wake and sit there for hours watching the masses of people coming and going. She looked soooo different, I'm now stuck with the image of that (plus the results of what cancer does) in my head. I vowed that I didn't want anyone else to have that, and to simply remember me for what I actually looked like.
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 8:25 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I want to be cremated, there's no big reason behind it, it just seems easier and cheaper, than the big casket and burial. Though ashes can be buried too, my moms were. But you can wait to bury ashes. The cemetary where my mom is buried is inaccesable during the winter, so there is no way we could have buried her in Dec when she died, but with her being cremated, we just held onto her ashes until summer and then had the interment.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:30 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Cremated because I want to be returned to the earth as quickly as possible and spreading ashes is the quickest route. My father was cremated and we had a "normal" funeral with an open casket before they cremated him. Then my mother ordered necklaces that were filled with some of the ashes and welded shut for his daughters and herself. My father's organs were also donated and mine will be to. If I can help save someone else's life or prolong it a little I will gladly do it. We met the man who got my father's eyes and he was so thankful!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:38 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My body will be donated for organ transplant, and then to science for learning. With that, there's not going to be much left to put in a casket, so I'm opting for cremation. They can do whatever they want with the ashes. Our trash guy comes on Monday's.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:51 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I want to be cremated because it's cheaper overall than a traditional burial. I just think it's crazy to spend thousands of dollars on a funeral and burial.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:15 AM on May. 9, 2009

• agree w/ blessedmommy64.....plus, i don't care what anyone does w/ the ashes.
    oh, and i've told everyone (family/friends) if they are alive when i die, if they choose to spend money on flowers/plants i can't enjoy (hello..because i'm dead!), don't--give them to me now!!!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:22 AM on May. 9, 2009

• i want to be creamated and ashes spread out on my fam lad at papas house
    no need to spend all that $$ on a box for me
    i hope to do the same with my dad, but who knows what his wife will say
    my mom wants to be burried so i will respect that wish for her
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:26 AM on May. 9, 2009