If someone was making fun of something, and it personally related to you, what would you say?

Example.

Someone makes fun of interracial relationships.
I am in an interracial relationship, even though my fiance has light skin (he's Hispanic).
I would promptly speak up and tell them to can it.

What would you do if someone was making fun of something, not knowing that you had experience with the subject?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:53 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i would ask them not to talk about that around me, that i realize that they have a right to thier opinion as do i but that it is not a subject that i feel we should discuss
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I suppose it depends. I'm very aware of all the "disorders" (hahaha) that every nationality has. People make fun of my "heritage" all the time. I let it roll off. Most often things are done in jest, and we need to not be so serious. NOW...if they were making very MEAN, nasty remarks, and being serious....that's another issue. But it also would make me know who I should be around and who I shouldn't. You'll never control another person and how they think/speak, BUT you can control what you choose to be around.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I stand right up and say something about it. I am definitely not one to sit back and not say anything. Now, if it is here on the internet like on CM- sometimes I don't get involved because it pisses me off way too much because WAY too many people get involved. But when it is one on one in person, I will say something to someone and tell them if they are being ignorant. I have NO tolerance for that.

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 8:58 AM on May. 9, 2009

• id speak up!!
    my son is mixed, his father is not around, but i am very firm on the fact that he is a beautiful lil boy and should never let anyone make him feel degrated
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:19 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I speak up, esp if it is about being interracial. I hate that some people don't like someone because of the color of their skin. It's like saying they don't like blue-eyed people, or people with glasses.

I usually start out by saying somethng along the lines of, "Wow. I never realized that you were that shallow."
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 10:31 AM on May. 9, 2009

• If it was something hurtful and mean, then hell yeah, I'd be saying something. If it was a joke or something said in jest, then I let it go.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:31 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, I would tell them that it offended me.
    When my husband and I had been together for about 8 months, his mother and sister were talking about people who lived in trailer courts, and what trash they are etc...well...I grew up in a trailer park, and I am not trash. It was a nice place to live, and I went to a GREAT public school all because we lived there. (the school is rated #3 in our state!) My mom kept a roof over our heads and we are far from "white trash" as they said.
    Much to their dismay (although I think they knew) I spoke up and told them I had lived in a trailer park, etc...
    I think that you should always stand up for what you believe in, even if it makes a situation awkward.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 10:49 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I guess I'm also interracial I never think about it. I like to joke around so I do not take things so hard. Now if they are being rude to be rude I would WTF is your problem. But I will be honest no one has ever said anything rude to me.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:06 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Make a smartass comment to shut them up like I always do. For some reason I run into this problem a lot.
    Anonymous

• I don't take that kind of crap from anyone ... So I'd have to do some major "shit talking" right back to them, and let me telll you I'm very good at "shit talking", it's almost a profession for me lol
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 1:34 PM on May. 9, 2009