Has anyone had postpartum and took zoloft or anything else for it while breastfeeding?

I have to take zoloft for postpartum depression but i am still breast feeding and dont want to stop im just worried about taking meds has anyone else? how was it?

ilovebrook

Asked by ilovebrook at 9:01 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• idk, i took paxil and zoloft while pregnant. my son had a heart problem. later it came out that paxil can cause heart problems. i would talk to your dr about the safest med for you and your baby.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 9:06 AM on May. 9, 2009

• zoloft is perfectly safe to take while breastfeeding. Well, maybe not perfectly but it's much better then having a depressed mommy!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 9:15 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I had PPD and was Rx'd Zoloft while breastfeeding -- my OB said it was safe, and she had been part of research on its effects. She said it was at its highest concentration 8 hours after taking it, and I could pump & dump then just if I wanted to. However, the Zoloft gave me horrible GI upset!!!! That's the #1 side effect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I did. I took Celexa though. I breastfed my twins for the first couple months until I had to start pumping. It's been fine with me on that for them.
    Anonymous

• I took zoloft and it really helped me get back to myself again. It's totally fine to take during breast feeding, my midwife was the one that prescribed it to me. Good luck! You'll be feeling better soon!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:28 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes zoloft is fine. That's why they give u that. I'm taking it and bfing.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:29 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I had PDD and took Lexapro.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 4:36 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Zoloft s the antidepressant of choice for breastfeeding moms. From the article: But Is It Safe for My Baby? Medications and Breastfeeding by Thomas W. Hale

"The use of Zoloft, on the other hand, has been reported in more than 30 breastfed infants, and appears to transfer poorly to the infant and with no reported effects.18,19 Thus far plasma levels in most infants have been close to or below the limit of detection, with no reports of untoward effects in the infant. At this time, Zoloft is probably the SSRI of choice for nursing mothers"

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:17 PM on May. 9, 2009