Please tell me I'm not the only one.....

My husband is taking our kids to see his mother for an overnight & I'm not going. I'm allergic to their cats & have asthma attacks whenever I go there. This is actuality a blessing in disguise because she is a monster-in-law. Am I the only one who sends her husband off with the kids without being there?

CloverE

Asked by CloverE at 9:25 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• I could only DREAM! Man you are lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be planning a girls night, getting all "dolled up".. and have a blast of an evening!
    Anonymous

• no..I understand your allergy/ asthma issues. thankfully thats how I get out of going to my MIL unless its a cookout. nothing overnight. BUT I was trying to have him take the kids in the morning for a quick visit to see her. but somehow now after her calling everday spending hours with us on the phone she has monipilized herself into spending Sunday here all day. the one thing I didnt want!! Im 8 months pregnant too, but that doesnt phase her. she has another son. who's going to a hockey game, at 730 at night, thats totally fine. she has me to torture! next year, we are planning a weekend getaway. Im not being selfish. my mom is so understanding, saying, you have little kids. you should be home relaxing..my MIL wants me to cook dinner and have her whole family. when I ? her & say well what about my mom &sisters. she's like have everyone. yeah, host 20 ppl on mother day while Im prego that sounds fun. I will never be that way!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 9:35 AM on May. 9, 2009

• OMG hosting 20 ppl on Mother's Day...no way. Your right take care of yourself & relax. When she is there on Sundays can you go out for a little bit & leave her with the kids so you can get some "alone" time? My MIL never cooks either...I have to do it all. So aggravating.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 9:47 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Nope! I love it when DH takes the kids and leaves for a day!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:23 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I would NEVER send my DH & kids to MIL's house w/OUT me - and there is a long list of reasons why. However, I would send DH to FIL/SMIL's house w/out me - no problem w.that. I actually enjoy when he takes them to visit for the day - free time for me :)
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 11:36 AM on May. 9, 2009

• hell yeah i would
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 12:30 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Oh man I sure wish sometimes I could! I love my family very much but sometimes I wish I could just have a day to myself. Just to recuperate!
    littllea

Answer by littllea at 12:37 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My hubby takes our kids to his Dad and SM's house sometimes and it's sooo nice. I feel guilty tho because I'm afraid they'll think I don't like them or want to be around them (okay so I don't like the SMIL very much but I am nice and respectful to her).
    I do have a suggestion tho for the poster... if you're that allergic to the cats, I recommend having him to stop somewhere on the way home and let the kids change in to clothes that were not at the In-Laws house so that they don't bring cat dander/hair in to the house and have them shower/bathe as soon as they get there because it's on their skin/hair. Asthma attacks look so scarey so at all costs I'd try to prevent one (my daughter has bad allergies but not asthma so on windy days dr recommended we all shower when we come in and before getting in bed because the pollens get on the bedding or furniture)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No, I dont do that. I will send the kids off and keep the hubby with me...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:18 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No. My mil lives across town from us, and sometimes If he is going over there to visit or dropping the kids off I will stay home. I get along with my mil, but sometimes it is just nice to have the house to myself for a while!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:49 PM on May. 9, 2009