Am I picky?Do I expect too much?sitter question...

I'm a stay at home mom so for one I do think that makes me picky as I care for my kids 24/7 so the rare chance I get out...maybe I expect th care to compare to mine??

When my first born was about 6 months old we decided to let my husbands little sister babysit,she was 12.We returned to find our binki broken baby had a binki ,had a poopy diaper and was asleep in the door way jumper.And she had give him a bottle although I was very clear on the fact he was suppose to have a sippy.I didnt give her a chance again ,and didnt go out again for 2 more years!

We now have a second infant and we ask my husbands mom to watch the kids.Shes done it a few times with no issue.However last night I came home to my 3 yr old in underware...no pjs although I laid them out.And she told me she didnt put the baby in pjs because it was too hot hmm ok....well this morning i discovered she didnt change his diaper either...(cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, you are too picky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 9, 2009

• How do you know the next morning that she didn't change his diaper? The Pj thing is being picky, but if she didn't change the diaper that isn't being picky. Diaper changing is part of the job.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:35 AM on May. 9, 2009

• yes and no. it depends on what you're okay with. at my house it's okay for the boys to be in thier undies. also, consider that your mil has already had and raised her kids. so, this second time around she's naturally going to be more laid back.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 9:35 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I'd trust the MIL to know what she was doing. 12 is a little young to watch an infant, in my humble opinion.
    I couldn't find a sitter I liked either. I asked my mother and aunt when unavoidable,- they were great- but for just going out I didn't like to ask them. I tried a couple sitters, one smoked even though I'd said no smoking, and one invited her boyfriend over. So we didn't go out until the older child was able to sit.

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I laid the pjs and diaper out in a certin spot and it all remained there.I had told her where it was.

Yes I let my son run around in underware but it was past his bed time he should of had his pjs on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on May. 9, 2009

• You seem to have fairly low expectations for child care. My 13 year old is a Red Cross certified babysitter; trained in first aid, including CPR. If you can't find someone competent to take care of your child, then stay home or take your child with you to family-friendly locations.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 AM on May. 9, 2009

• PJs are no big deal. 12 is too young to watch an infant. And NO ONE will do it exactly the way YOU want it, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:43 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Maybe she got a diaper from the pack or wherever you normally keep them? I think in some ways, yes you are too picky, and others you are not. Diaper changing is NOT picky. But the pjs is, and although clearly the 12 yr old wasn't ready to sit, and had other issues, the bottle/sippy thing is a bit picky too. One bottle while being watched by a sitter will not kill the child.

But, you also are the parent, and picky or not, your sitter should respect your wishes and do as you ask. If they don't like what you expect of them, they should refuse to sit for you instead of ignoring you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:46 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Really, in my opinion, if you're not leaving your children with a sitter all the time then the only things I would worry about is that my kids are alive and uninjured when I return home. 12 is too young to be watching an infant, but really, she could've done a much worse job. I do think you're being too picky, especially when it comes to your MIL.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 12:14 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think they are your kids and you have every right to be picky. But try to remember that when someone else is keeping your kids for you for one evening that it was just one night. I know you are irritated when things don't go the way you would have done it but you did get a nice evening out and the kids were alive and well when you got home! I agree that the 12 year old was irresponsible though. It sounds like she was doing what was easiest for her and not using her head. Sounds like mom-in-law had good intentions but just didn't follow you directions. Next time try writing them down and see if it helps. If not try having DH talk to her about your expectations and why you like things done that way. I do NOT think you are being to picky, I just think that their are times when it is best just to look past the irritation to enjoy the positive.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:45 PM on May. 9, 2009