Am I too picky?Do I expect too much?(part 2)

I had changed the baby when we left an hour and a half before she laid him down.BUT she didnt change him before putting him in the swing(I wouldnt of let him sleep there either).My 3 yr old got himself out of the tub even.So she.....

Ran water
made a sippy
put baby in swing
Gave my 3 yr old ice cream (I had asked her to)

But other than that she didnt do anything!Seriously am I being picky or are both sitters lacking common since??

AND please dont say well maybe its been so long since she had to take care of a baby.....Her youngest of ELEVEN is four years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why would she change him before putting him in the swing? Maybe he was dry when she put him there. I think maybe you're being a little bit picky. And that's natural because you're a mom, and a stay at home mom on top of that. of course you're going to be. But try to lighten up a little, otherwise you'll be at home until they're 18!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:39 AM on May. 9, 2009

• LOL thank you.I can accept that Im picky if ya give me some explanation lol.

But I change my kids every 2 hours I think in an hour and a half he should of been wet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 9, 2009

• You change your children every 2 hours or so IF they're wet, have a rash, if it's really hot/muggy, and they're sweaty--not every two hours if dry! I think you could learn something from a mom of 11 children (Good God, I can't even imagine!), she has learned not to sweat the small stuff! :o)

If you MUST have things a "certain way" then you need to WRITE down your expectations, and post them clearly, so there is no misunderstanding. If she still doesn't meet your expectations, then you'll need to TRY and find a sitter that does!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:47 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Changing every 2 hours is a bit much. Sometimes my 10 mo will go 3 or 4 w/o a wet diaper, but she is well hydrated. You need to chill out. As long as your kids are clean and the house is still standing when you come home then you may have a decent sitter.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:12 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Ditto with the above. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:45 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Ok, I answered your other question, but I want to address this one, too. The bath tub thing: Did she stay in there while he took his bath? If not, then you are not being picky. But if she was in there, yes, you're being too picky. At 3, your son should be starting to show some signs of independence, and be able to get himself out of the tub alone, with an adult there to help him IF he needs it.

I think maybe you need to lighten up just a bit. It sounds like you might be just a TAD overprotective/anxious. Take some lessons from your mil. She raised your husband, and you married him, so she can't be too bad.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:50 AM on May. 9, 2009

• As the mother of 7 almost 8 I can say you are being to picky. But at the same time I understand where you are coming from. WIth my first couple of kids everything had to be done a certian way, that's what I liked, but that wasn't true of people who were watching the kids, I had to learn to let them do it thier way, even if it wasn't my way. But now as the mom of 7 i have lightened way up, I know that it doesn't have to be done a certian way, I am more relaxed about it. If your MIL has 7 she has learned the same thing. It is just a different way then your way, but were the kids happy and healthy and all in one piece when you got home? If the answer is yes then they are good, and you should be happy that family is helping out.

The diaper part made me laugh I was the same way with the first two...not anymore, I only change if it really needs it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:40 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I read both posts and yes, I still think you are being too picky. Of course you don't let your kid sleep in the swing, but one night of it didn't kill him. One night of sleeping without changing his diaper every two hours didn't hurt him either. I am the mother of twins who are now three and half. If I had changed diapers every two hours, I would've never gotten any sleep. Same thing if I didn't let them nap in the swing...I'm not saying you have to do that, I'm just saying it's not really a big deal once in a while. If your MIL has kept 11 children alive and well, I'm sure you can trust her with your two once in a while. Really, what is the big deal?
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 12:23 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I've read both parts, and you are being WAY too picky. First off 12 is way to young to watch an infant. Second, if they diaper wasn't wet, there is no reason to change it. My kids take their clothes off all the time, so what if he was running around in his underwear? MY 22 month old climbs out of the tub himself, so I don't see why it's a big deal that he got out of the tub by himself. I think that you might need to lighten up just a little bit.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 1:10 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I read both parts... and yes, your being way to particular. You need to let go of some control. A, you need to get out, and you need to have alone time with your husband or your marriage could suffer, B, not everyone is going to do it just they way you do. I personally wouldn't let a 12 yr old watch my kids, and I would not expect her to do a good job, she is twelve. Most first time moms give into binkis, and let their babies fall asleep were they fall... the child was 12yrs old, you cannot expect her to live up to mommy standards. Second... what did it hurt taht you son was in his undeerware or that you baby didn't have PJS on... did it distroy your routine, were you not able to just get up in the morning and go on as norm? You need to let go a bit, or you may end up becomeing isolated from everyone because theydon't live up to your standards.. dh and children inculded.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:39 PM on May. 9, 2009