• In the Spotlight:

How Can I put my baby asleep without a bottle?

I know this may sound bad but my five month old has a hard time going to sleep without a bottle. I'm at my wits end fighting with her to go to sleep by herself. Do you have any ideas on how I can stop this habit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just stop giving her the bottle at bedtime. It may take about a week for the fighting to end, but it will be worth it. Give her her bottle then put her to bed. I wish you luck. I have known several people that give a bottle to go to sleep and I swore that I wouldn't have that battle and we don't b/c I never gave the bottle to go to sleep.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My son's ped told me not to put my son to sleep w/ a bottle b/c it sits on the teeth & can cause tooth decay. She told me to gradually give him less & less in his bottle...using more water than formula. Now he only goes to bed w/ a pacifier. He has dinner at 5:30, has a bath, then is asleep by 7 or 8. The only thing I hate is that he wakes up around 2AM wanting a bottle. If he had a bottle before bed, then he doesn't/wouldn't wake up. I'm still working on it...
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 10:18 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Dont put your baby to sleep with a bottle! It will cause tooth decay, i promise! my hubbys ex-wife put their son to bed with a bottle all the time and he had to have silver caps put on all of his front teeth and he had them until they fell out when he was 7-10yrs old like 6 or 7 of them! so just dont do it. binki's are ok, so maybe that would work? good luck momma! :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:09 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My 9 month old still takes a bottle to bed. I kept asking his ped. and the nurse that comes out and they both said that it's fine as long as his teeth are brushed every day and the bottle doesn't actually sit in his mouth all night (he spits it out when it's empty) and that eventually he should stop needed it. But they also suggested giving him a little less each night to kind of wean him off of it. I haven't tried that yet.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• mine still goes to bed with a bottle but only 4oz of water he get a cup of milk at 5 s a bath at 7 dinner 730 8pm is bedtime and then his bottle of water
    Ilovemyson51508

Answer by Ilovemyson51508 at 11:48 PM on May. 9, 2009