Low Grade Fever & tired

My 7m old son woke up at 1 a.m. and his little body felt SO HOT - like a heating pad. He had 100.4 F rectally. I gave him Tylenol, put him in some lighter PJ's and he had a hard time going back down after a bottle. Only other odd symptoms are fussiness, being super tired yesterday (weird for him) and watering left eye (clogged tear duct?) He is learning to crawl & pulling himself to stand, so I figured he was more sleeping than usual from wearing himself out! Should I bring him to the Dr Monday? His temp was normal this a.m. at 8:30.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 10:12 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep, i would. the troubling thing for me is the extreme tiredness. if he get lethargic (does not want to move at all) i would get him checked out asap.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 10:14 AM on May. 9, 2009

• He probably just has a cold. I wouldn't give Tylenol until a fever of 102 so that his body can fight it off naturally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I would bathe him in lukewarn water to help bring the fever down......not too cold, but not too warm either, just tepid............. set him in his little tub and use a wash cloth to pour the water over him with water covering his legs. But not on his head.....just the shoulders and stomach and back.

Just a few minutes is all that is needed, and this should help reduce the fever down.

Then you should always alternate between motrin and tylenol.........use motrin first........and see how the fever is after.......

This worked like a charm for my son when he was a baby............but DO follow up with your pediatrician on Monday.

If he is still not his happy little self........take him to the ER if he is still acting lethargic.......do what you feel is best Mom.

Hope he is feeling better today
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on May. 9, 2009

• You should not ALWAYS alternate between motrin and tylonal....that is crap. It is terrible for your baby to do that, and it should only be done when you can't get the fever to stay down with only one or the other.

If the fever is under 102 you don't have to give anything. Fever is babies friend - it helps them build their immune system and you are doing a disservice by giving it to them when it is not needed.

The danger zone for a baby is 103-105. Anything below that is not an emergency and you do not need to freak out.

However, was your baby being lethargic or just tired? Cause there IS a difference. Kaylee napped it seemed like all day long when she had a growth spurt. That is not lethargic. Lethargic is how she was last week when she would just lay there and not be interested in doing anything and hardly cried or anything (along with a high fever). When they are like that is when they need to go in ASAP.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:22 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My son was the same way last week. He had the fever on and off for 3 days. When I took him into the doctor they found nothing wrong. I was told that it was a viral infection and it was nothing to worry about unless the fever got higher and lasted more than 3 days. Also on the fourth day he broke out in small little red bumps on his stomach and back. I got worried again and took him in and was told that the bump were a cause of him fighting the virus. After the 3 days he is back to himself. Maybe you little has the same thing.
    Anonymous