How can I be more successful with people?

This is hard for me even to ask....But I have a sort of intense personality and slight pessimism about life. I can get along very well with people and be fun entertaining in social situations. My biggest downfall is that I wear my emotions on my sleeve. If I get into a bad mood (I need to stop getting INTO those!), or I am upset about something, nothing else seems to matter until that issue or mood is resolved, and I drive people away and sometimes they don't ever return. In the end, it hurts and it is not what I intended. It hurts at home and in the workplace.

I suppose the first step has been done, which is recognizing there is a problem. But how do I tackle and change my personality?! Personality runs deep!

Any positive/helpful suggestions would be listened to and appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• is it your personality or depression? when i'm having trouble with depression, this is what happens with me. it shows up as anger at everyone/thing that bothers me.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 10:21 AM on May. 9, 2009

• That's what I was going to say, sounds like you could be depressed rather than having a personality problem...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:27 AM on May. 9, 2009

• have you ever considered that you might have a personality disorder? Look up BPD and see if anything looks familiar to you. I could be way off base but what you wrote just sounds very familiar.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm sort of the same, I know if I'm in a down-right rotten mood I'll end up saying things I regret, so I try to be quiet, or alone, in those times.

If I'm in a situation where I need to interact with people, I take a 5 minute cool down in the bathroom. Just splash my face with water and take some deep breaths.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:21 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I actually have a 'friend' that is a pessimist and constantly negative. She has a very abrasive personality. I think she isn't happy with her life. Maybe your personality issue runs a lot deeper than you realize. Cheers to you for asking a tough question!
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:38 AM on May. 10, 2009

• girl, you need some lemon balm
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:04 AM on May. 10, 2009