What are the benefits to waiting to find out baby's gender?

I've always liked surprises, so I kinda' want to wait, but it's getting hard with people always asking the gender so they can decide what to get or make for the baby. If being surprised is the only benefit, it might not be worth it. What do you think?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:12 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• another benefits is if you are planning on having any other kids, then you have clothes for them and you dont have to give clothes away to just turn around and stock back up just because its a different gender possibly. i'm 17 weeks along and am waiting the old fashioned way :)
    JMcGuire

Answer by JMcGuire at 9:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I think that being surprised is the only benefit. I thought about it, but with room decorations and clothes to be bought.....You can do that stuff in neutral colors, I suppose. You also have to think too, though, do you want to come up with a name after the baby is born or now while there's time to decide if you really like the name you've picked. Just things to consider.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:18 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My thought is that you are surprised whether you find out at the ultrasound or 6 months later at birth. So I'd rather be surprised earlier than to know the information was available but that I turned down knowing it until much later. I'd rather think about the baby including his or her gender as soon as possible. :) Just my thoughts.

Answer by Bmat at 11:22 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Yeah, the surprise is the only benefit but like Bmat said, you are going to be surprised either way. I found out I'm having a girl yesterday and the shock and excitement has yet to go away. It's your own personal preference. You can buy all neutral stuff and have a girl name and a boy name picked out and find out at birth or find out and go on a pink or blue baby shopping frenzy. No matter which you choose, it's SO going to be worth it in the end=]
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:00 PM on May. 9, 2009

• yup just the surprise- but maybe if ur not sure what u want to do, when u go to the ultrasound ask the technician to write down the gender on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope and that way u can have it on hand for if u get the urge to know but if u dont it can stay sealed til after the birth (to see if they were right! lol)
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:49 PM on May. 9, 2009