How to get a two yr old to stop running for the road?

My son every time he is out will start for the road. I have tried everything I can think of to teach him not to go there. Thursday I we were out and our dog got loose and he was running after the dog I started yelling for him to stop and he keep going I ran down the yard and got to him just as a car was a few feet from us. Then Friday we were out and a jeep stop because he had ran in front of him while I turned to look at his brother he was gone that fast. I just do not know what to do.

ahunsicker

Asked by ahunsicker at 11:20 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Spank his butt. Hard. Sometimes that's all you can do. I'd rather have my kid cry and learn a lesson than end up dead, and it sounds like you've tried everything else.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:44 AM on May. 9, 2009

• the second he goes for the road take him in the house, or if you don't want to punish your other child b/c of the 2 yr old, than put him in a time out right next to you. if there is a safe place he can be in time out in the house while you can be outside keeping an eye on the other child i would put him in the house that way he gets that if he can't play the right way he can't be outside. when you go for walks put him in a stroller until he learns that way you aren't having to chase him down, if he complains tell him when he starts to listen and stay on the sidewalk or hold your hand he can walk like a big boy
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:45 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Get a harness

Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 AM on May. 9, 2009

• There were three really big things that my kids got spanked for. Spanking was reserved for these...safety, disrespect and dishonesty.
    If my child was endangering themselves or someone else they got a spanking. When it was a case of "run to the street" I would not give them a warning. They ran, I grabbed them, faced them towards the street, said street NO and spanked them HARD. They learn really quick. The reality of a spank is so much more quick and effective then other methods and I shudder to think of what could have happened had I taken less of a stance on this important subject.

SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:12 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Every time he does it, make him go inside and don't let him go outside the rest of the day or the next.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 1:19 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Light up his rear end the next time he runs for the road and that will solve the problem.
    Anonymous

• honestly when my son was about 2.5 he was big on running in the road so one day I showed him a squashed squirrel. He was already introduced to the idea of death though. (Our cat had died earlier that month) It seemed to work for the most part. When he would head in that direction I would remind him of the squirrel. I know everyone is going to say that I'm mean and that's horrible but he was gonna have to figure it out sooner or later and that is how we chose to get through to him. Spanking did not work.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:32 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My daughter does the SAME thing, I am at my wits end with her, spanking hasn't worked, showing her a squished spider or something similar doesn't work. I finally got her a harness, a little teddy bear backpack with the leash. I HATE using it, I feel like she is a dog but it WORKS. You won't have to use it forever, just until they learn not to run away. Have him wear the back pack part all the time and then whenever you are out of your house put the leash part on. It will be hard but worth it.
    lovemybabygirl7

Answer by lovemybabygirl7 at 3:03 PM on May. 9, 2009

• if you have the money invest in a fence, or a toddler out door gated play area (they sell those at toys r us i think).. or a harness. bring out a high chair/ bouncer, every time she acts up, spank and put her in their for time out for the rest of the time out side.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:07 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think that when a child is doing something that can put them in danger, a swat is warranted. One thing that works for us is using a certain word that when said the kids know it means business. Since we are constantly telling our 2 year old "no" we say "STOP" when we are outside playing. Since she doesn't hear that word as often, she stops immediately to turn around and see what we want. It worked well with our oldest daughter when she was little as well. Good luck!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 9:40 PM on May. 9, 2009