I am selfish or is it sometimes normal?

My husbands niece is pregnant and due to deliver any day. We found out today that she is contracting and heading to the hospital. Now is it normal for me to want to be happy but jealous all at the same time? Because instead of being like Yay! I'm like why..... I was just wondering if maybe some other people have it or if I am just a selfish bitch....

mommytogirls745

Asked by mommytogirls745 at 11:29 AM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is very normal to be happy for someone and jealous or envious at the same time. It's human nature! Don't feel bad, just recognize your feelings and try your best to shrug off the negative ones! People can't help how they feel!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:33 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I think it is ok, you see that it isn't the best response. Figure out why it is bothering you and accept it. Then help welcome the new baby into the world.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:42 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My mil went through this. She was re-living her pregnancy with my so thru ME.
    Anonymous

• I am like that my friend went ot japan and im happy she went but I NEED to go because my family lives there and im so sick of getting her pictures form japan im so done being happy for her lol
    Anonymous

• No it is so normal. When I went back to work after having my son it was anounced that another of the ladies there was PG. I wanted to be happy for her but in the back of my head I was so jealous. I still have no idea why but it passed. Once you see the new baby I'm sure you will be fine and excited for her again.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• The same thing happened to me twice... 2 years ago when my SIL got pregnant with her 3rd, I was miserable for about 2 weeks after I found out... and last September when my friend announced at her wedding she was 3 months pregnant... I was thrilled for her but the next day I had a breakdown while doing the dishes, I just sank to the floor and cried! My clock had been ticking very loudly. It seems to be a strictly biological thing, at least in my case... I'm 25 and I hadn't had any children yet, and it was REALLY affecting me emotionally. (i'm now 6 months along).

Don't let it make you feel like a mean or bad person. You're just being a woman lol
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 3:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yep! Like the other have already said.... it isn't uncommon to feel a tinge of jealousy.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:03 PM on May. 9, 2009

• The way I think of it is this:

Jealousy is a mean emotion. It means, to me, that you want to take away other people's happiness so they can't have it if you can't.

Envy, on the other hand, means that while you're happy for the other person's happiness, you're sad that you don't have the same thing (whatever that thing may be).

That's my take on it.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:51 PM on May. 9, 2009