Question about faiths?(jump off of another post)

Okay, so after sharing my beliefs, and answers what seemed an infinite number of questions.. I have a few of my own.

1- what is your faith/religion/belief, and how would you describe it?

2- What are three reasons, you believe your religion/faith/belief, is the answer for you personally?

3- Can you give proof, in depth, as to why you believe what you believe?

my answer will be listed below. But I'm curious as to others reasonings. No bashing others answers, I just want to see what each individual has to say about their own personal beliefs.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:35 AM on May. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• what is your faith/religion/belief, and how would you describe it? don't believe in religion. I think it causes nothing but problems What are three reasons, you believe your religion/faith/belief, is the answer for you personally * I don't need an imaginary friend *I dont think its right that people follow rues of a person that got bored and wrote a book. People write parenting books and people never worship those * Its personal choice for me. Easy living with feeling like im gonna be judged and BANNED because..I had sex before marriage,pregnant before marriage,drink,smoke..ya know - Can you give proof, in depth, as to why you believe what you believe?Can people prove god exist?

I just dont like the thumpers...

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:51 AM on May. 9, 2009

• 1- I'm an atheist, and personally it's about needing proof.

2-a- science has proven that things are not always as we once thought they were.
    b- I've never seen/felt/experience anything indicating that there is a higher power.
    c- I've studied religions (not all, but enough to satisfy a majority of my questions), and found this is what I believe to be true.

3- ex. of the after life.. the paranormal. Reasons I believe science is finding more reasonable explanations: a clay pot can record sounds, that if played back by needle, can be heard in the present. Same as a record. The same things happen with certain stones, and surroundings, visually, as well as sounds, etc. Woods can retain smells as well. Do I believe in the paranormal? yes. But as you can see, scientifically, there are some explanations for these issues. All in all, it's just the theory. But it's a theory that discredits the after life. cont,
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:45 AM on May. 9, 2009

• if there is a theory that discredits the after life.. then the after life is just a theory as well, because you can say without a doubt that the after life is factual, or nonfiction. This is my reasoning behind my beliefs. If there is something that theoretically could discredit another religious theory, then it can't be made a fact, so I don't commit myself to something that is questionable, and not fact.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:46 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I can just copy/paste what you just said, xxhazeldovexx I am starting to have a headache and my brain is just numb, not dead, just numb.
    Luv ya,
    Bea
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:47 AM on May. 9, 2009

• I consider myself to be an Ecclectric Pagan, I do not prescribe to one set "brand" of Paganism.  My religion is an Earth-bound religion.  I believe in a universal God and Goddess, I do not have pantheons.  I believe that the Earth and life itself can only survive on a balance of good and evil, right and wrong, yin and yang.  I believe that the God and Goddess also have this same balance.  I do not believe in the existence of Satan.  I believe in Karma and rule of three.  I believe in reincarnation.  I also believe that all animals have souls.  I also believe in the human spirit.  I also trust in science, technology and history

I know my beliefs are right for me because:
    1) I never felt comfortable/right while studying/practicing any other belief systems.
    2) When I discovered Paganism a huge sense of
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:50 AM on May. 9, 2009

• over...to this day I still fell that.

3) Paganism allows and encourages me to remain open minded about the beliefs and lifestyles of others.....something I thoroughly enjoy.

Lastly, no...I cannot prove in depth (at least in the way I believe you mean) my beliefs but I am okay with that. I accepted a long time ago that no belief structure can ultimately prove that their beliefs are the one and only. I think there is a reason for that. People need to stay true to their hearts, minds and souls and there is no way that one spiritual path can offer what every person needs.
    anetrnlov

• Rules*
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:56 AM on May. 9, 2009

• 940 is short!
    1: Universalist Reconstructionist Germanic Heathen. Our pantheon is the AEsir, which most people recognize as Odin, Thor, Loki, Freya and Frigga, among others. Reconstructionist refers to any ancient faith that is devoted to pure, traditional practice, meaning not open to adding other gods or getting rid of ones we don't like. Traditionally Recons are to Neo-Pagans as Republicans are to Democrats (figuratively and literally), We are also known as Odinists and Asatru, which are specific only to the AEsir. Other Pantheons have different names (Hellenists, Roma,etc).
    2:self-reliance – it is about providing for yourself, not expecting everyone else to help, while at the same time always being ready to help others should they ask. Asking for help is not taken lightly, and has serious obligations involved.
    -cont'd
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:58 AM on May. 9, 2009

• Knowledge – we are here to learn, not live to some impossible standard, but to gain knowledge alongside our gods. Odin was hanged for 9 days to bring us the knowledge of runes. It is by that example we should dedicate ourselves to understanding. Family – to not just honor thy father and mother, but all those who came before. To provide a good home and raise children with the morals and courage to do what is right because they believe it is right and to stand up for others.
    3: I can no more give “proof” than anyone else. Heathenry isn’t about “what has your god done for you lately.” The very idea is reprehensible. It is not the gods’ jobs to do favors for me and prove themselves; it is my job to prove myself worthy of their knowledge and guidance. I am at peace, and happy, and where I belong. That’s all the proof I need.
    NotPanicking

• I hold similar beliefs as anetrnlove, except I dont consider myself a "pagan" per se, but a pantheist!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:58 AM on May. 9, 2009