Do you believe a news story from one source over a news story confirmed by multiple sources?

Many posts in the current events sections have just one source to back the information, often an op/ed type piece, or a story that was "passed along." Many people seem to believe that since it is not "mainstream" it has more credibility than a story reported (or not) from the big news agencies. What do you think?

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 12:20 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont take anything from anything similar to a blog. if i want to take others opinions as facts i can get plenty of that on CM haha. on most everything im more likely to believe if it is stated in different articles by different ppl.

when you believe one source & only one source & ignore everything else you become a raving loon. you cant believe everything just cause one source said so...you'll start sounding like a mental patient, predicting the end of the Earth cause someone sent you an article via email. plus, you may be spreading lies & promoting someone else's lie-filled agenda.

with the election still fresh in our minds you can see the problems this caused on BOTH sides. ppl think Palin's a moron & Obama's a secret Muslim.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:23 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Well, considering how the MSM is OVERWHELMINGLY liberal and NOT likely to delve into the FULL STORY--especially if it looks bad for the liberal outlets, then I am LESS likely to believe ONLY what I hear from those sources. When a serious story breaks, I am MORE likely to check it against MY more conservative sources, and see how they "match up!"

Not surprisingly, I seem to get MORE of the details when comparing a important (political, natural disaster, CDC type) story first reported by a liberal outlet to a more conservative source.

While the liberal outlet may, in fact, have SOME little nuggets of truth embedded within, they never really seem to give more than the SENSATIONAL or "glossy" version--unless, of course, it makes a conservative or Republican look bad--wonder why that is?! LOL :o)

(Answer: because SENSATIONAL stories "sell" and support the liberal agenda)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I always check multiple sources and form my own opinions and conclusions.

Any person with an open mind can 'see through' a biased article for the bottom line. Many people listen to and are influenced & persuaded by the writer's beliefs. sad.

I totally agree and second with lorikeet's above post.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:46 PM on May. 9, 2009

• because SENSATIONAL stories "sell"
    ________________________
    This is true of ALL news outlets.

Not surprisingly, I seem to get MORE of the details
    ___________________________
    Details are good, and often you CAN get them from a more focused source. But with blogs and such not being held to the same journalistic standards (ie verified by two sources, only considereing direct sources legit, fact checking, etc) don't you fear there is a lot of unsupported speculation not verified by actual facts?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:47 PM on May. 9, 2009

• stacy

Sure, "one man's opinion" does not make for a credible source....BUT, more often than not, "one man's opinion" is supported by the ORIGINAL source via a LINK. SOMETIMES those journalists whom are longtime highly respected in their field, have the ability of helping me to comprehend the enormity of the situation, and it's true impact--not just what one BIASED source tells me "all I need to know!" :o)

I DO think CERTAIN liberals with very strong agendas JUMP at the chance to post the first negative story that supports their beliefs without questioning the bias of the source and delving past the surface. Those posters shall remain nameless! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:59 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I try to check more than one source. I've noticed some sources just repeat what other sources say and a lot of false info gets spread that way. It takes some time to delve deeper and find out who REALLY researched the issue. Some famous "news people" **cough, cough Katie Couric ** are incredibly biased, so I take whatever they report with a grain of salt.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:01 PM on May. 9, 2009

• is supported by the ORIGINAL source via a LINK.
    _____________________
    I get what you are saying here, and I like to read op/eds too. But what I am trying to point out is that an opinion piece is not news, it is a conclusion drawn FROM the news and cannot be used to support factual assertions. Opinion =/= news!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:03 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thank God for my own research AND,................................................................ get this,........ it's a good one!!!!!!!!!..........................................

MY OWN GOD-GIVEN ABILITIES TO ANALYZE, THEN GENERALIZE,

GENERALIZE THEN ANALYZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No applause, please, please, please,........... I can give ONLY God the credit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please see my profile for the Natalie Merchant song. I thought it was about a woman having a baby girl. It's obviously about me and my brain........

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:07 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yea, I tend to look at several sources and do not take blogs to be the truth. I also stick to mostly printed media.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 1:09 PM on May. 9, 2009

• TOTALLY agree mancos! Even here on CM, there are some people who post/respond to the same "junk" over and over and over again, ad nauseum, to the point where I just breeze by whatever they have to say, becasue, in my opinion, they have lost all credibility.

I'm sure it goes both ways, some people here probably don't like/agree with what I have to say, but really, I'm okay with that! LOL! :o) 

As a side note: I do find it hilarious that some of those who give me grief for posting something they do not agree with, are the same ones "high-fiving" me the SAME type of post/response when I go ANON!!! LOL!  So the bias definitely goes BOTH ways!  :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:14 PM on May. 9, 2009