just wornding?????

I was wornding if the hospital drug test babies when they are born??? I have heard so many diffent thing. just wornding!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Generally, no.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• ummm i've never heard of that unless there is a reason for the hospital to do it, like they suspect the mother is on drugs, however i wouldn't use that as an excuse to go out and do drugs yourself IF that is why the question is being asked
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• it's not something they do to all babies, only time I would think they'd do it is if the mother was obviously high on a street drug or it's set up by a probation officer? but generally no they don't!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:28 PM on May. 9, 2009

• no the question wasn't asked b/c i wanted to go out and do them i have a friend that just found she was having alittle one and she takes pills and i am trying to get her to understand that she doesn't need to when she was pregnant but she said she did with her other kids and i just they test babies so i told her that and she said they didn't. so i was wornding and wanting to know i would hate for her to lose her baby!!!!
    Anonymous

• Hmm if the doctors have a reason to suspect the mother has been taking drugs during pregnancy they might test the baby when it is born. Also I don't know if your friend had to have blood drawn at the beginning of pregnancy, but I did and they checked my blood for every possible thing that could be wrong. So if they found a higher level of whatever pills she is taking in her blood, they might have a red flag on her to test the baby once its born. It is really hard to tell if they will or not but I hope they do. If she is taking pills while she is pregnant, and if she has done it with all of her babies, obviously their health and safety is not her concern.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• well she is taking what is given to her by her docter she takes xanax she uses it like she is told to by him but it isn't her ob!! when they tested you at the begin did they tell you???
    Anonymous

• Only if they have a reason to. Or if the mother has admitted to doing drugs that can cause withdrawal in babies.
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 5:00 PM on May. 9, 2009