I posted a question about my daughter not eating meat and got some feed back...

Meat is just one of her dislikes, If I could be vegetarian I would be in heaven but the problem isnt just meat. She is beypond picky. She's the little kid at parties and get togethers that dosent like anything being served. Ive worked with her doctor to try to put her on a better diest but its been very difficult. She hates beans, rice, mac and cheese. I can count on my hands the only food she will eat. She will eat pears and two or three different veggies, sometimes tortillas but as well as meat she dosent like dairy- milk, cheese or yogurt. She dosent have a balanced diet. If I cut out the sweet cereal she practically lives on lettuce and pears. I have tried to start slow with giving her small servings of different foods but she absoultley refuses. I give her a multi- vitamin everyday but she has a poor diet for her age. I just need advice on maybe tricks or better ways to get her to try new foods.

busybutterfly

Asked by busybutterfly at 12:39 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• maybe try making the lettuce a salad. as far as the meat thing goes, how old is she? if shes old enough you can try adding peanut butter to something she likes, that gives her the iron she would get from meats. if she likes apples you could put some on a few slices and see if she eats it, or one of the veggies she likes. or you could put it on a tortilla.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I worked at a daycare where we had a very picky eater. His parents ended up taking him to a nutritionist. This is the plan that they then had with him. At meal times he got two plates. Plate A was new food and Plate B was food that they knew that he liked. If he wanted a bite of plate B he had to try a bite from plate A first. He also was timed. He had so long to take a bite from plate A because he would sit there forever and just stare at it because he didn't want to eat anything new. It worked really well. He was eventually eating pretty much everything and wasn't scared to try new things. I don't know how old your little girl was but this little guy was in kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• If she will eat fruits and vegetables, go after choices that are higher in protein. You can try nuts, peanut butter, edamame, and things like that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:54 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I would suggest having her evaluated by an occupational therapist and seeing if any of the other symptoms for Sensory Integration Dysfunction fit.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:00 PM on May. 9, 2009

• You can also add cooked beans to smoothies. Add a few at a time and blend them well.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Rather than working with a doctor, get a referral to a nutritionist; the truth is, most doctors don't know very much about nutrition.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Why don't you try giving her soy,you can give her lactose free milk.Buy her soy burgers.Try giving her lots of vegtables and fruits.Learn how to cook low fat.It is healthier anyaways.You can give her pinto beans but not from a can cook them over the stove for three hours and put half an onion for the flavor.Make her straberry,banana and orange smothies,My kids are very healthy these days more and more people are eating healthier and fresher,Buy organic juice.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, consult a few different professionals (if it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg!) But I'd also try to get her to participate in the preparation of her more diverse meals. She might be more open to eating different things if she had a part in making them.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 4:45 PM on May. 9, 2009

• try this website: http://www.thesneakychef.com/ it give you recipies to sneak veggies into children's favorite meals like Mac N Cheese and Brownies, you can even get their book too if the few sample recipies work.

Maybe if she doesn't like the dairy and wheat, maybe that's because she is allergic to it. It is a very common allergy. It may not show any signs like a rash but it can hurt the stomach and give a runny nose. I am sure you can google dairy allergies.. You can try different things like tofu, they have a baked tofu witch I have heard is really good and beans. Check out a VEGAN diet and try that too.

My sister has a dairy allergy and is now Vegan, she has tried to go back but it makes her sick. Good Luck with your daughter.
    katiedidit02

Answer by katiedidit02 at 12:36 PM on May. 10, 2009