Baby awake a long time

My baby is 10 days old and she was awake for 7 long straight hours last night.I thought babies this young did'nt do that.How old were your babies when they started to stay awake for long periods of time?And another thing is she wanted to eat the whole time which i ended up overfeeding her and she threw it all back up. She would cry till i gave her a bottle.So what should i do when shes crying and acting hungry trying to eat my shirt sleeve and i know shes had plenty to eat.Do i just let her cry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know most people don't like doing this but have you tried giving her a pacifier? she may just need the action of sucking...maybe that is comforting to her.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:45 PM on May. 9, 2009

• at 10 days old i wouldn't just let her cry, have you tried a pacifier, alot of people are gonna jump in and say not to use them, but if she is trying to suck on something and you know she doesn't need something to eat than a pacifier should calm down the crying and satisfy that urge for her. as far as being awake that long, i wish i could tell you but i don't remember i was so sleep deprived then all i remember is being tired no matter how much sleep she got
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:45 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, i do try giving her a pacifier but she gets an angry look on her face and spits it out.
    Anonymous

• The first night we brought our baby home, she was up for 6 hours. We had a crying baby as well. Is she formula fed or breast fed? We were unable to breastfed and had to do formula and we discovered that she was lactose intolerant. We switched her formula and she would sleep better during the day and not cry so much between feedings. Also, do you use the soothie pacifier that hospitals usually give out. My daughter didnt like those. So we found a different pacifier and she takes one now. A little trick my mom taught me to sooth a crying baby. Stick a recieving blanket in the dryer for a couple mins and then swaddle her in the warm blanket. Worked like a charm during those long crying periods and it would put her right to sleep sometimes. I hope you find something to calm your baby but like the others have said, I wouldnt just let her cry it out right now. Its frustrating and hard but you will find something that works great.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:33 PM on May. 9, 2009

• A pacifier is good to try to see if she really does just want to suck on something. If you want to put her to sleep at night, try that along w/ swaddling, shh-ing and rocking her. Or you can let her suck on your finger. If she really won't go for that and she really is hungry and upset all the time, talk to your pediatrician to see if she may be having trouble w/ her formula and need to switch. My son has gone through like 5 different formulas. He got constipated on the milk formulas, diarrhea on the soy, and then constantly either hungry or screaming in pain on Nutramigen. He had to see a specialist and ended up on a prescription formula.
    notreally69

Answer by notreally69 at 2:50 PM on May. 9, 2009