When do you move from bottle to sippy cup?

My Dr. just said no more bottle. Move to sippy cup at my daughter's 15 month check up. Is this too soon? should I force the transition?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was 2 1/2 but my daughter was 11 months. i had no trouble with her at all. but my son was a different story. it would be a good idea though to get her off the bottle now. it will just get harder the longer she uses it and it is bad for the growth of their teeth after a year (so i was told). but no it is not too soon this is the best time. better now than later.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I started my son on a sippy cup at 10 months and he was off the bottle at 13 months and with my daughter I started her on the sippy cup at 6 months and she took herself off the bottle at 10 months.
    mommy20507

Answer by mommy20507 at 12:57 PM on May. 9, 2009

• we got our daughter off of it by 11 months, started around 9 months and after about a week she only wanted a bottle at bedtime so that was the only time she got it. than we phased that one out too.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• At this point, your daughter only needs to be drinking water. You should be setting a great example by drinking at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Put water in her sippy, explaining that big girls and mommies drink water.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:59 PM on May. 9, 2009

• you can give the poor baby juice...my gosh. apple juice, white grape juice, prune juice what ever juice you would like to give her. I started my kids on juice when they were 6 months. they are now 3 years and 18 months. they drink apple, orange, grape, strawberry banana, and v8 juices(fruit & veggie they don't like the plain veggie) and sometimes I make them milkshakes and smoothies. yes give them some water too but that is not all they have to drink 24/7 for the rest of their life.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• You can start her on a sippy cup now. But it's up to you as the mother to decide when you want to bottle break them. I bottle feed all 3 of mine, but let them self ween off the bottle (Hey it works for BF, why not FF) They all were off the bottle by themselves by just after their second birthdays!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 1:17 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I did about a month after she turned one. I just threw them all out. It didn't really bother her at all..
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:18 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Ours were on sippy cups at 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• We switched to a sippy at 6 mos and will switch again to a straw sippy shortly. I bought the first on yesterday and she is getting used to it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:18 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My son was 100% sippy cup at 10.5 months and DD was 13 months. Just take it slow. WE started by giving sippy's with breakfast lunch and dinner (adding one at a time)and still doing a snack bottle and a bed time bottle and then eventually when we felt they had the cup down pat we switch the other bottles to sippy's to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:28 PM on May. 9, 2009