• In the Spotlight:

In severe pain

2 days ago I started having severe upper and lower abdominal pain, felt like knives stabbing me over and over. I had the worst migraine, my neck hurt, my back hurt, my mind was foggy, felt like my body was here but I wasn't (kwim?), I was disoriented, nauseated and vomiting. I figured it would go away if I got some rest, I was up all night in pain and yesterday I was still in severe pain. My Dr's office was closed so DH took me to the ER, I got in quick. I had just sat down when I was called back. I was given a shot of a painkiller that's like morphine, 2 Valiums and a pill for the nausea. The shot didn't work, I was in severe pain so I was given another shot of a painkiller. Tests were done and I have a kidney infection. I was sent home with an antibiotic but nothing for the severe pain. I was told to just take Tylenol but that does nothing. Today I am still in severe pain and Tylenol isn't working. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Health

• You need to go back to the ER. The reasons they send you home without the pain killers is that people are more likely to follow up with their doctors if they are still in pain AND that they don't want to mask a worsening problem. Go back, if you have pain that bad, you should be admitted and given iv antibiotics and fluids and monitored. Kidney infections can leave scarring in your kidneys.
    Anonymous

• Is your doctors office open today? Call them and ask to come in right now to get something for the pain. Also ask them to request your paperwork from the hospital.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:15 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Go back again and tell them you are still in a lot of pain. Maybe they didn't give you some stronger pain meds because it would mix badly with the antibiotic? I don't know.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 1:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• For the kidney infection, you should be drinking lots of water, and taking concentrated cranberry caps. No alchohol, caffiene or spice foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:19 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks! I will call and hopefully my Dr is in today, since one Dr is now retired, my Dr has taken on hundreds of new patients and the wait to get in is crazy. Hopefully I can get in today since I am in so much pain.
    That is true it does mask the pain. I am on rest for the next 24 hours, I can't rest because of the pain. I did end up falling asleep but a couple of my friends stopped by, DH told them I am resting but they insisted on seeing me. No strenuous activity for the next 3- 4 days, that is nearly impossible with 3 kids.
    Anonymous

• you might be having kidney stones
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:27 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I just looked up a kidney infection and UTI and not many of those signs even match mine. I am having the back pain with it and now I have started peeing blood, which makes me think there is something more going on. I am in severe pain, not mild pain. I looked up kidney stones and those match, except for the fever and chills but everything else is dead on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on May. 10, 2009