Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did YOU start giving your baby peanut butter?

I'm not asking for a lecture on the AAP's recomendations please. Thank you.


Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • My son was 8 months old. We have no food allergies in my family so I felt ok giving it to him. I watched for signs of allergies. You give your child whatever you want to, just watch for signs of allergies. What the AAP says is a RECOMMEDATION. If he can eat it, then give it to him.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • 2 years

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:22 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • We have no history of any allergies (other then penicillen) on either side of the family. our children all started penut butter or almond butter around the time they started solids... 6mo for the oldest, 8 mo for the second, 9 mo for the third, and the fourth just had his first try about a week ago 10 mo. we purree it with apples or banans or pears... fuit that tastes good with it.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • My son was about 18 months and my daughter it was more like 11 months. We have no allergy history in our family and I decided that it was silly for me to have waited so long with my son. She was fine.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 1:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • 6 months- but like daughteroftruth we have no history of allergies in our family so we knew we were ok

    Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:51 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • Nuts are an "after 2' age. You can give your under 2 year old sunflower butter, made from sunflower seeds.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:11 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • There is no peanut allergies in our families. So with the first 15 months, second 12 months, and our third, 7 months...the second one gave him some reeces pieces. He was fine so we started to feed him PB.
    Our ped said those guidelines about nuts are designed more for families that have nut allergies so we didn't worry.

    Answer by Nathskitten at 2:41 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • We didnt have a family history of food allergies at all so I gave it to my son at 18 months, he went into anaphylactic shock. Make sure you watch them VERY closely the first several times they have it. If they are allergic the reaction isnt usually on the first exposure.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 2:52 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • 2 years is best just to be sure there is a minima chance of an allergic reaction at that age its also easier for the body to digest.

    Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 3:28 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • I accidentally gave some to my son when he was 10 months old. He didn't blow up or get a rash or anything, so we have been having PB&J for lunch ever now and again since. There is no history of nut or any type of allergies in my family ,heck even poison ivy doesn't give us rashes! lol.

    Answer by MythicMMM at 3:59 PM on May. 9, 2009