Control from the Home Office ?...............................................

U.S. threatens to rescind stimulus money over wage cuts ................
The Obama administration threatens to rescind billions in stimulus money if Gov. Schwarzenegger and lawmakers do not restore wage cuts to unionized home healthcare workers.
By Evan Halper
May 8, 2009

Reporting from Sacramento -- The Obama administration is threatening to rescind billions of dollars in federal stimulus money if Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and state lawmakers do not restore wage cuts to unionized home healthcare workers approved in February as part of the budget.
Schwarzenegger's office was advised this week by federal health officials that the wage reduction, which will save California $74 million, violates provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Failure to revoke the scheduled wage cut before it takes effect July 1 could cost California $6.8 billion in stimulus money, according to state officials.

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 1:28 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The news comes as state lawmakers are already facing a severe cash crisis, with the state at risk of running out of money in July.

The wages at issue involve workers who care for some 440,000 low-income disabled and elderly Californians. The workers, who collectively contribute millions of dollars in dues each month to the influential Service Employees International Union and the United Domestic Workers, will see the state's contribution to their wages cut from a maximum of $12.10 per hour to a maximum of $10.10.

The SEIU said in a statement that it had asked the Obama administration for the ruling.

The cut was highly contentious during last winter's budget talks. Republican lawmakers insisted that the rapidly growing, multibillion-dollar state program, In Home Supportive Services, be scaled back significantly.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:29 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Democrats fought major reductions in the program, which they say is a cost-effective alternative to nursing-home care, but ultimately compromised. Reversing the wage cut would require a two-thirds vote of the Legislature, meaning Republican support would be needed. Schwarzenegger on Wednesday sent U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius a letter urging the federal government to reconsider. "Neither the Legislature nor I make decisions to reduce wages or benefits lightly, but only as a last resort in response to an unprecedented fiscal crisis," Schwarzenegger wrote.

Gotta kiss those unionized asses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:30 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Whatch think?

mustbeGRACE

• I think it is great. There is a reason for unions and this is it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:31 PM on May. 9, 2009

• So Cali wants to cut the wages AND take the stimulus package money that was given to help make sure that the wages weren't cut? Hmmmm. Well, the union will obviously fight to the death regarding this. I guess it is up to Cali whether they want to cut that program at the risk of losing Federal money. This is the exact thing that the stimulus package is for, it is up to Cali if they want to take the money with the stipulations or not. I myself think that a state subsidized program that helps allow old people to stay at home rather than go to a long term facility is a worthwhile one, and I hate to see cuts in it.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Well, they had better take the money.

That program to teach Mexican children English is waiting.........

Future votes for the Dims.

Their economy is in the friggin' crapper............

It ALWAYS will be.

What are they doing to fix the problems?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I myself think that a state subsidized program that helps allow old people to stay at home rather than go to a long term facility is a worthwhile one, and I hate to see cuts in it.

I don't think  your opinion about WHERE the unionized workers actually work is  the subject of the article..............

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:44 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I don't think your opinion about WHERE the unionized workers actually work is the subject of the article..............

unionized home healthcare workers is the subject of the article, meaning specifically referring to the state subsidized program to keep old people AT HOME instead of in a nursing home.  So, um yeah, it is the subject.  Did you read your own post?

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• For the admin it is all about power I am sure not so much that they care weather old folks are in nursing homes or not.I don't think all nursing homes should be knocked either there are good ones that some old folks enjoy and call home.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:54 PM on May. 9, 2009

• We all love old people, but they're not the subject of the artcle.................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:55 PM on May. 9, 2009