Is it wrong to be strick on a child.

A lot of my friends tell me that Im being too strick on my three year old because I make him mind his manners, I get on him if hes jumping around on the loveseat or the sofa. I make him clean up his room, mind what he says. If hes to hard on a toy, I remind him he can't do that. If he's inside yelling, I ask him to use an in door voice. If he gets punished. ((ex, no tv for the day because of something hes done.) I wont let him beat up any of the cats, dogs, or any other children. ((the biting thing took forever to break. )) He has rules he has to follow.

But I really don't want my son to be one of those children you see in Wal-mart screaming for a toy, & the mother caves just because she wants everyone to stop looking at her. Or those evil children you use to babysit that don't listen, cuss, scream, & do whatever they want. Am I too strick? Or am I right for not listening to her?

lilmoosesmom

Asked by lilmoosesmom at 1:36 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've been told that I'm strict on my daughter she's 4... she has chores and I don't let things slip because people are around and I don't feel like dealing with it. I actually enjoy my daughters company because she learned early what's expected. The sooner you get started the less work you have cut out for you when they get older and it's hard to change habits and bad behavior. I think the ones that say this is too strict may just be envious of how you can stick to discipline.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I don't think you are being to strick.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i agree. John has chores, & I'll admit im strick in some areas, but in others like bedtime, yes he has a ten oclock bedtime, but he also gets to watch a movie ect.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:46 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I strict with my son and he will be 8 next month. When we are in Walmart he knows better than to run off, yell, scream, throw a fit or hit because I will spank him on site. Your friends may say that you are too strict because their kids are heathens and a pain in the ass. Your kid minds and theirs don't. To me that shows jealousy. Good for you Mom, stick to it.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:47 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I don't think you are being strict at all. I'm strict too and I'm one of those moms you were talking about. My son is 6 and he acts up in the stores about a candy or a toy. I have an 11 year old and i just look at him and he knows what's up. But, the 6 yr old is fearless. I am strict with him when he gets in trouble he knows when you get home no TV, no ice cream, no park etc. And, still it's not working. So it depends on the child. I am seeking professional help now. I am getting frustrated and need help understanding him. So, don't think that you are strict, kids need that. Good luck! i know i need it. :o)
    worried4ej

Answer by worried4ej at 1:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I am the same way, and most of my friends that have children are that way too! I see nothing wrong with teaching your child the things that you expect for them...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:53 PM on May. 9, 2009

• ***From them...sorry.
    pamelajqs

• I agree that you are not strict you are teaching your child what you and society expect from him. Keep doing what you are doing and bless you for raising a child with manners. That is what I am trying to teach my LO and I know that it will be a long tough road.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i want to give you a standing ovation!!! WAY TO GO MOMMA!! i am the same way, i discipline my child but i don't beat him. i make him say please & thank you and excuse me. i don't let him run wild & i DON'T use bribery [if you be good we'll get a toy]. if someone wants to call ME strict and tell me i'm a bad mother bc i make my child listen then so be it but when my child is the one sitting quietly in a restaurant eating and minding his manners or when he turns 18 and is RESPECTFULLY dating your daughter and treating her like a lady THEN ask me if i was being too strict. he's 2 now by the way. he also looks at other children when we're out in public that are acting up & just gives them a look as "if i did that i'd be in soooo much trouble" and sometimes he even looks at them and tells them "that's not nice". my SIL is jealous bc he is so good and her boys are terrors. so BRAVO & keep it up momma you are NOT too strict =)
    RAGUmomof2

Answer by RAGUmomof2 at 2:19 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Ill admit Ive used black mail on my son, but not for being good. ((Unless he was good all week... kinda like older kids with money. do what you gotta do & you get some kind of reward.)) && I used black mail for potty training. My son is spoiled rotten, but you couldn't tell that by his manners, right now hes going through a "duh" phase. & He knows I'll pop that mouth (now when i say pop its more like a very very very light tap. but he still knows he has to stop.))
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:12 PM on May. 9, 2009