HELP! My 10 month old had a fall!!

My 10 month old fell flat on his face out the front door when my toddler opened it. He has a cut on the inside of his upper lip and his nose and face above his top lip are very swollen and red. Could it be broken? I have read a few places that babies can break their noses because it's just cartilage but I'm not sure. I want to take him to the doc just to be safe but my husband disagrees. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, take him. If for some reason you don't and he has something serious going on, it can be construed as negligence.
    Anonymous

• doesnt hurt to get him checked out! poor baby =(
    a cut is one thing, but it's the swollen areas I'd be concerned about! better safe than sorry!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I too would worry about the swelling. Especially if it is interfering with his normal breathing or eating. NO harm in getting it looked at. Maybe call his peds. Emerg. number and talk to a nurse. They may be able to tell you if it warrents a trip to the ER I hope he feels better!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree, if it is something serious then you could be in trouble for not bringing him to see a dr right way. It is hard to tell with little ones if something is serious or not. I have found it is best to get it checked out.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone! I did get ahold of our ped via his emergency beeper number. I described the injury and he assured us that our son was fine. He said to watch for vomitting or other signs that the fall was serious but he didn't fall far at all, just flat on his face.
    He's still nursing just fine and about 10 minutes after I talked to his ped he was crawling around and acting just fine.
    Anonymous